Posted on July 2, 2019
#Rental Frauds #Tips to deal 

Did your letting agent gave out misleading information or manipulated features of the property? Or are you being charged with extra fees which you shouldn’t have been? Or are you being asked to pay higher deposit or rent than the other tenants?

If yes then certainly this is not at all a great situation to be a part of, so we’ve thoughtfully put down some helpful advice on types of harassment that you could face and how to effectively overcome them.

Are you being harassed by your letting agent?

Harassment by the letting agent might temper the brand image and is also treated as an absolute unprofessional action; therefore, it is highly unlikely to happen but who knows when you might come across one.

So here are the common types of harassment that you need to look out for.

  • Rental Frauds: Tricking you with a property which physically does not exists or has already been rented out by someone else or has been rented out to many other individuals at the same time.
  • Entering your home without prior notice.
  • Visiting your home while you are not there.
  • Restricting or cutting off your access to electricity, gas or water.
  • Refusing to repair essential items of the house.
  • Becoming physically or verbally abusive.
  • Increasing the rent without any prior notice.

How to deal with this?


Communication is the key to solve most of the problems. Before going into legal procedures, take someone along while talking to your letting agent, discuss why you are not happy in the first place and ask them to assist with the problem. If they are not open for face to face meet up, try contacting them on call or email them directly.

You could even discuss your problem with the landlord directly. You could ask the details of your landlord from your letting agent as well.

NOTE: Before discussing anything, always make a point to jot down all the things that you need to discuss with the letting agent so that you do not miss any of the points. If you need any legal help and advice before speaking to your letting agent- Contact the nearest Citizens Advice.

If talking to the letting agent does not work:


If talking to the letting agent is not working out, the next step is to write a letter stating your problems and concerns to the letting agency. Check out the complaint procedure regarding what are the steps and how long will it take to get a reply back. You could usually find the procedure on the letting agency’s website, but you are unable to find one ask them directly.

In case if they do not have any complaint procedure directly write to the manager stating your problems and your rights and ask them to fix the problem.

  • Keep the letter clear and include evidence like
  • Details about what you and your letting agent agreed upon.
  • A copy of all emails and letters that you sent to the letting agent.
  • What exactly are you complaining about and what are the necessary move that you want them to take.
  • Receipt of all the bills that you had to pay because of the issue.
  • Add photographs of the damaged property.
  • Time and date when the problem started.


If you do not get any response from your letting agent within 8 weeks of the date of the written complaint, you can take the help of the independent complaint bodies.

The independent body will play a part of the mediator and help you to solve the problem between the letting agent and yourself. This is also known as Redress Scheme.

Please note that your letting agent should be a member of either of the one bodies.

  1. Property Redress Scheme
  2. The Property Ombudsman

Also before filing a complaint ask your letting agent as to which body they belong to. Fill an online complaint form on the complaints bodies website and describe your problems and explain to them what all steps you have taken to solve it also attach a copy of all the email and letters you sent to the letting agent. If the independent body feels that the letting agent hasn’t played their part well, they tell them to make the necessary changes and sometimes even ask the agents to pay compensation fees.


If you have already tried both the procedure and still haven’t received any solution you could directly complain to your local council.

The local council will only intervene if your problem includes:

  • Illegal/ Forceful eviction
  • Harassment
  • If the repairs caused any safety or health risk
  • Dishonest trade behaviour

Write a letter stating your problems and the steps you have taken to solve it also attach a copy of all the email and letters you sent to the letting agent.


If all of the above procedure does not work, you still have the last option available, which is to go directly to the court and file a case. However make sure that your case fits the court’s requirements as filling a lawsuit might cost you a lot of money.


  • If you are illegally/ forcefully evicted
  • If you are facing discrimination
  • If you are constantly harassed by your letting agent
  • If your agent refuses from returning your deposit.
Want apartment of your choice?Get response within 1 hour
24x7 Personal Assistance

Verified Property

Free Service

Just give your preferences & get best apartments for your stay without any hassle.

By submitting form you agree to Terms and Privacy policy