Got a passion for fashion? Then London is the place to go! This city is one of the world's 'big four' fashion capitals and has retained the position forever. Till today, this city has given rise to a plethora of fresh fashion trends and cultures, all of which have had a major impact on the global fashion scene. London is home to one of the most eagerly awaited events worldwide; London Fashion Week. What would be a better place than the most fashionable capital in the world for you to live your dream and study fashion? In this blog, we have curated the ultimate guide to fashion designing programmes in London and everything you need to know.
Why study fashion designing in London?
London is home to many iconic labels such as Dior, Zadig & Voltaire, and Dolce & Gabbana, as well as fashion icons such as Stella McCartney, Vivienne Westwood, and Paul Smith, who have altered the fashion business with their cultural background and inspiration. Considering this and some below-mentioned reasons, we’re telling you that London is the best city to study fashion design and why.
Studying fashion design in London can lead to a range of career options, from graduate fashion degrees in London to part-time cash employment. Students can sign up for a variety of internships with domestic and foreign fashion businesses to learn about the fashion industry and acquire practical experience with the largest fashion firms and fashion colleges in the world, including Central Saint Martins, the Royal College of Art, and London College of Fashion which are all situated in London.
Students can choose from among thousands of courses in London's luxury fashion design industry, including courses on textile design, artefact analysis, and history of fashion. And that isn’t it; London is the place to be if you enjoy living in a bustling city, not simply for fashion. It is a single metropolitan area with around 350 music venues, over 5000 restaurants, and about 7000+ bars and pubs!
Top Fashion Courses in London
London fashion design institutes nurture the future of designers. Graduates might pursue careers as designers, stylists, make-up artists, buyers, photographers, journalists, and managers, among other professions. We have listed down the top fashion design programmes in London:
• 3D Effects for Performance and Fashion BA (Hons) - 3 years
• BA (Hons) Bespoke Tailoring - 3 years
• BA (Hons) Product Design and Innovation - 3 years
• BA (Hons) Fashion Design and Development - 3 years
• BA (Hons) Creative Direction for Fashion - 3 years
• Executive MBA (Fashion) - 1 year
• MA Costume Design for Performance - 15 months
• MSc Applied Psychology in Fashion - 12 months
• MA Strategic Fashion Marketing - 15 months
• MA Pattern and Garment Technology - 15 months
• Introduction to Study of Fashion on a Global Scale - 1 year
• Fashion Preparation on a Global Scale - 1 year
• Online Short Course on Visual Communication for Fashion - 4 weeks
• Introduction to the Fashion Industry for 16 to 18-year-olds - 4 weeks
• Bag Design - 4 weeks
Top Colleges for Fashion in London
London is the home to everything fashionable, with many fashion institutes. Let’s take a look at some universities that offer the best fashion design courses in London.
1. Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design
Topping the list of best fashion designing colleges in London, Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design offers a wide range of fashion designing courses related to fashion, jewellery design, as well as textiles as a part of the University of the Arts London (UAL). As this fashion design university in Lodnon is partially government-funded, it is easier for students to enter the world of fashion in London, regardless of their socio-economic background. The teaching staff features several famous faces including, international fashion figures like Professor Louise Wilson.
Notable Alumni: Alexander McQueen, Paul Smith, Stella McCartney and Christopher Kane
2. London College of Fashion
Also, a part of the UAL, the London College of Fashion is known for its variety in fashion courses, which go beyond fashion design and exten to fashion marketing, buying, merchandising, and journalism. If you’re looking for fashion design courses in London that specialise in accessories and footwear, you’ll find them at this fashion school in London for international students.
Notable Alumni: Jimmy Choo and Rupert Sanderson
3. Royal College of Art
With some of the best graduate-level fashion design courses in London, the Royal College of Art is relatively expensive and harder to get into. However, this fashion design college in London offers students the opportunity to gain work experience through placements at some world-renowned fashion houses, such as Prada, Givenchy, Louis Vuitton, and Burberry.
Notable Alumni: Philip Treacy, Ossie Clark and Zandra Rhodes
Who can study Fashion Design in London?
After we've gone through the best fashion design courses in London, let's go over the admission standards for students seeking to get into one of London's institutions. The following are the minimum prerequisites for enrolling in London fashion design courses; the entry requirements vary depending on the programmes provided or from university to university.
• You can obtain an additional 112 UCAS tariff points by combining the above qualifications with an equivalent full Level 3 certificate, comparable EU or non-EU credentials, like the International Baccalaureate Diploma, and three GCSE passes with grades A*–C or grades 9–4.
• A Distinction - Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (Level 3 or 4) with at least 112 tariff points, including at least one A-level pass
• A bachelor's degree with honours in a related discipline, a GPA of 2:1 or higher, or an equivalent degree (for graduate-level courses)
• You also need to have at least three years of experience in the relevant industry (for postgraduate-level courses)
• Students need to submit all the necessary documents mentioned on the university website on time
• Students must pass the English language Proficiency Test to be eligible for education in London.
Cost of Studying Fashion Design in London
Studying Fashion Designing in London will vary depending on the institute you wish to attend and the course duration. Below we have mentioned the average fashion designing course in London fees per annum.
Undergraduate: £9,250 – 15,654 ( INR 9,27,886 – 15,70,284)
Postgraduate: £11,220 – 19,251 (INR 11,25,500 – 19,31,106)
Cost of living in London
Being one of the posh cities around the world, the cost of living in London is expected to be a little high. But don’t you worry. At amber, we provide the best affordable and luxurious student accommodations in London for you to have the best experience of your life. And below, we have listed down the average cost required to live and move around the capital of style.
• Food: £100-£150/week
• Gas and electricity: £50-£70/week
• Internet & mobile phone: £30-£50/week
• Dinner at a restaurant: £50-£150/week
• Laundry: £25-£40/week
• Stationery and Textbooks: £20-£30/week
• Clothing: £50-£75/month
• Travel (buses, trams, and trains): £90-£150/month
Skills for Fashion Designers in London
Every job requires a particular set of skills that you will need throughout your career. These include soft skills as well as hard skills. In short, soft skills are interpersonal skills that are essential to building and maintaining a career, no matter which industry you work in. On the other hand, hard skills are technical skills that you need to have knowledge and experience of in order to utilize them during your job. You can gain and develop these skills through internships and practical courses. Here are a few skills that you’ll learn during your fashion designing course in London that might prove useful in your fashion designing career.
1. Drawing & Rendering Fashion Illustrations
2. Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop
3. Construction: Sewing, Pattern Making, And Draping
4. Fashion History
5. Learn Your Textiles
6. Fashion Marketing And Merchandising
Careers after Fashion Designing Course in London
London can undoubtedly provide you with the inspiration and starting point you need if you have great fashion industry dreams. It is a melting pot of different cultures, greatly influencing London's fashion design industry. Global residents that come here to work or further their education unintentionally contribute to the city's fashion scene, and Studying fashion design in London would be a fantastic experience. The renowned London College of Fashion provides fashion programmes that can help you develop your abilities and unleash your creativity. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get going! You can also check out our blog on the highest paying design jobs.