Suppose you are shortlisting a US university for this year's study. You may come across Northwestern University and want to know more about the university. This blog is for you! We will tell you everything you need to know before choosing this university. We explain everything from why you should enrol at Northwestern University, the courses and degrees offered, to the tuition fees and application process. So let's dive right in!
Northwestern University is a top university, founded in 1851, that transcends its traditional academic boundaries with three campuses and a global presence. This private university is mainly known for its excellent teaching and innovative research. The three campuses of Northwestern University are located in Evanston, Chicago and Doha. North Western University welcomes a total number of 8000 full-time undergraduate students and over 13000 graduate and professional students of demonstrated academic achievement from diverse social, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
Northwestern University is ranked 9th among the national universities by the U.S. News and World Report and is recognised nationally and internationally for its amazing education programs. Northwestern University is ranked #32 by the QS World University Rankings and #29 on the Graduate Employability Ranking.
Why Should You Apply?
Northwestern University comes under one of the leading research universities with over 90 school-based centres and over 50 university research centres. With an interdisciplinary culture, our research spans multiple fields, including neuroscience, nanotechnology, biotechnology, and drug discovery. The best thing about Northwestern is its credible name in artistic and communicative fields. The school is packed with opportunities for students to learn academically about these sorts of fields. In fact, students tend to respect the work they are doing so heavily that the whole university is competitive.
Northwestern University’s notable alumni
Northwest alumni have welcomed many notable names in the fields of journalism, government, literature, business, science, performing arts, education, and medicine. Northwestern University ranks eighth among US universities in terms of the number of billionaires.
- Harold Washington - He was the one who turned the time and become the first black mayor of Chicago.
- Gwynne Shotwell - A former student of Northwestern University and now the president and COO of SpaceX, with over 10,000 employees and a valuation of $74 billion and also manages the operation of the commercial exploration company.
- George R.R. Martin - Done both bachelor's and master's from Northwestern University and is also the author of the famous show Games of Thrones.
- Ginni Rometty - Completed her bachelor's from Northwestern University in 1976 and currently is the prescient and CEO of IBM.
- Alexander De Croo - 71st prime minister of Belgium who completed his masters from Northwestern University in 2004.
Types of Degrees and courses offered
Northwestern University offers a wide range of undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and research programs to all students studying there. With the best faculty in the nation, you can expect the best! Some popular courses offered at Northwestern University include:
- Global Health Studies
- Environmental Science
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Biological Science
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Data Science
- English Literature
The university’s colleges, schools, and medical facilities are home to well over one hundred research institutions and centres, so the next big discovery is never far away. You can check the Northwestern University page to find the topics for your research.
Eligibility Criteria for Northwestern University
As you know, each course has its own admission criteria. Therefore, we recommend you to visit University’s official page to view the Northwestern University's detailed admission criteria. But here is a basic checklist you must mark before applying for admissions.
- A minimum of 3+ GPA is required
- A score of 590+ on the GMAT if you are applying for a General course
- 7+ score in IELTS.
- 100+ score in TOEFL
Documents required to apply at the Northwestern University
The list of documents you will need to submit during the application to Northwestern University.
- Official secondary school transcripts and school reports
- A Counselor recommendation
- Letter of Recommendation from at least one teacher
- Early Decision Agreement
- Mid-year transcript
- Completed online application
- Statement of Purpose
- Uploaded Transcripts or school report
- Standardised test scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- GRE or GMAT scores
How much does it cost to study at Northwestern University?
While studying at Northwestern University, you can expect full-time course tuition to range from approximately $62,391 to $70,121. Each course has its own tuition fee. We encourage you to review your course selections on the university website.
Scholarships provided by Northeastern University
There is a variety of financial aid that you can get to start your studies at Northwestern University. The university provided around $200 million to students in 2020-2021 approx half of its students. A student who applies for financial aid will automatically be considered for all the scholarships listed below.
- Northwestern University Scholarship
- Northwestern Endowed Scholarships
- Good Neighbor, Great University
- Questbridge National College Match Scholarship
- Chicago Star Scholarship
How to apply to Northwestern University
Northwestern University has an acceptance rate of 7%, In other words, you have a good chance of getting into a university, but to do so, you must first apply to one. Here's how:
- Apply via the common application or Coalition with Scoir application
- Create an account and fill out the application form
- Pay the application fee and submit all your documents
- Your application will start getting processed, and you’ll simply get a call or mail if your application is selected
This is all you will be required to know to initially start your journey at Northwestern University. If you are a student confused about the accommodation at Evaston, check out this amazing range of student accommodations ranging from budget-friendly to luxurious rooms. Also, being a student, you should be precise about your visa application process to avoid any mistakes. So, check out this blog to know everything about US student visas.