Cardiff was widely known as an industrial city until recent times. It is now gaining popularity as a modern city in the United Kingdom. Cardiff is a leading port and Wales's capital city with a shoreline on the Bristol Channel. Cardiff is a bustling sports, culture, history, and entertainment centre. The city is increasingly becoming a popular destination for international students as well since the city has various prominent educational institutes like Cardiff University, Cardiff and Vale College, to name a few. With the help of this Cardiff student housing guide, you will be able to find a wide range of Cardiff student housing for affordable rent.
Fun Fact- Cardiff is known as Britain's "City of Arcades" because it features the country's most Victorian, Edwardian, and modern indoor shopping arcades.
When to start looking for student housing?
Looking for the best student accommodation is always a priority as it will be your home away from home, and your student accommodation significantly impacts your college experience. To find your perfect student housing in Cardiff, check out the following tips.
- To avoid missing out on the greatest possibilities, avoid waiting until the last minute to make your Cardiff student housing bookings.
- Beat the crowd and start looking for a home during your first term for the best selection of properties because more than a quarter of first-year university students start looking for a home for the following year within weeks of commencing their degree.
Things to keep in mind when choosing accommodation
Finding perfect student housing in Cardiff can be a bit tricky. There are many things that you need to take into account when choosing your student accommodation. Here are some of the things you need to keep in mind and research about the same.
- Budget for rent: The first step is to calculate your budget and decide how much you would want to spend on the rent. By deciding this, you can avoid spending too much on rent.
- Neighbourhood: Make sure you research the area thoroughly. Make sure that the essential services and public transport are available and that the area is safe to live in.
- Cost of Living: You can also get an estimated cost of living in the city so that you can budget your rent, transportation, utility bills and other additional expenses.
- Extra Amenities: Many student housings in Cardiff provide extra amenities such as free wifi, laundry facilities, gym etc. So make sure you check and enquire about the amenities the student accommodation provides.
- Contract Terms: Have a qualified attorney evaluate your contract before you sign it so that you may make an informed decision.
Types of accommodation
Cardiff student housing is divided into the following types. It is important to know about the student room options available so that you can choose according to your needs and preferences.
• Purpose Built student housing (PBSA): This includes student accommodation in Cardiff that was created and constructed just for college students like you! An all-inclusive rent and additional perks, including completely furnished apartments, laundry service, round-the-clock security, common areas, and study rooms, are typical features. The rent range for PBSA is £70- £220/ week. When booking with amber, those looking for the best Cardiff student housing will encounter these three primary types:
• Ensuites: The ideal choice for people who value solitude, ensuites give students access to a private bathroom and a communal kitchen and they usually cost around £70- £185/ week
• Non-ensuites: A non-ensuite lodging has a communal bathroom and kitchen, which is slightly different from an ensuite. For social studies students, this kind is best and the price range for non-ensuites is £65- £175/ week
Studios: This kind of lodging is possible with a single multipurpose area that might be private and tends to fall between £135- £320/ week.
Best Areas in Cardiff for student housing
By driving, Penylan is about six minutes east of the city centre. Its most prominent features are the neighbourhood's Edwardian architecture and several parks, notably Roath Park Lake. Residents of the neighbourhood have a strong sense of community. This makes the area one of the best options for students to live in.
Roath is one of the nicest neighbourhoods and best areas in Cardiff because it is diverse and ethnic. Beautiful walks may be made outside your home in Roath Park and Lake. It is the perfect location for foodies and creatives, and Ripple, a zero-waste store, is located there, making it ideal for anybody wishing to live more sustainably.
3. Cardiff Bay
This area is an excellent place for food and entertainment. Cardiff Bay has a lot to offer to students, including the wales Centre, The Senedd, Techniquest, and the charming Norwegian Church.
Again, Penarth is also one of the best areas in Cardiff to live in. This place is a simple commute to Cardiff, just four miles away from the city centre. It is a more tranquil and picturesque location with easy access to bus routes, train stations, and even an Aquabus that is four miles from the city centre. Families, pensioners, and young people who want to reside outside of the city centre can consider Penarth.
Llandaff is an area you will love if you want to settle in a tranquil area of Cardiff. The neighbourhood, which can be reached by car in eleven minutes from the city centre, is home to some spectacular historical structures, including the lavish 19th-century palace Insole Court and the 12th-century Llandaff Cathedral, which is still a vital component of the neighbourhood. This, along with Llandaff Meadow on the River Taff and the neighbourhood pubs and speciality stores, gives the area a village-like atmosphere.
Top 10 accommodations in Cardiff
Here are some of the best-recommended student accommodations in Cardiff.
1. The Bakery
The Bakery is an outstanding student residence in Cardiff which provides luxurious ensuite rooms at a reasonable cost. Several universities are conveniently close by, such as Cardiff University and the University of Wales. With numerous bus stops nearby, like the Clare Road bus stop, which is 3 minutes away on foot, you never have to worry about getting to your university or college. You can conveniently explore the amazing and vibrant city by choosing this Cardiff student housing.
2. The Neighbourhood
The Neighbourhood is a magnificent student residence in Cardiff that provides air-conditioned penthouses, flats with two, three, or four bedrooms, and studios near various universities. This accommodation, which is in Cardiff's centre, is bordered by a lot of exciting sites. St. David's Dewi Sant, which is only a 5-minute drive away, has shopping.
Amenities: Breakfast to go, Gym, Study room, Laundry room, Cinema, Lounge and Games area, Karaoke room, Roof terrace and more.
3. Ty Pont Haearn
If you are looking for the best student accommodation in Cardiff, you should definitely consider Ty Pont Hearn. You can select studio or ensuite accommodations to have your own bathroom and privacy. A studio gives you the most freedom because it has a separate living area and kitchen. This property is located within walking distance of the University of South Wales and Cardiff University.
Amenities: Wifi, Electricity, Common areas, on-site Housekeeping and Maintenance Teams, Vending machine, personal Contents insurance included, 24/7 security, CCTV, etc.
4. Howard Gardens
Howard Gardens is a vibrant and welcoming Cardiff student housing. The Standard, Classic, Deluxe, and Premium categories each offer fully furnished en suite apartments for students to choose from. The University of South Wales is 9 minutes away on foot from home, and Cardiff University is 7 minutes away by car.
Amenities: Laundry facilities, Gym, TV Area with 80″ TV with Netflix, Amazon Prime & Now TV, Games Zone, Study Spaces, Inbound Parcel Distribution Service, Secure Cycle Store, Social Events, Wifi, etc.
Cardiff's Eclipse is a luxurious student housing complex that provides professionals and students with shared and private en-suite and studio rooms. The home, which is situated on Newport Rd, is 6 minutes' drive from the University of Wales and 7 minutes' drive from Cardiff University. It does, however, get much better with a cinema room and a karaoke room that's great for gatherings.
Amenities: Bike storage, Gym, Private Cinema, Study facilities, Karaoke Room, Wifi, Party room, etc.
6. Cambrian Point
Beautiful, completely furnished ensuite rooms at Cambrian Point include beds, wardrobes, tables for studying, a shared bathroom, and a living area. In Cardiff, Cambrian Point is a well-liked and reasonably priced Cardiff student housing option that provides ensuite rooms and is just 17 minutes from the University of Wales, Cardiff University, and the Royal Welsh School of Music and Drama.
Amenities: Laundry facilities, All bills included, Wifi, CCTV, 24/7 security, Vending machine, On-site Housekeeping and Maintenance Teams, etc.
7. Lumis Student Living
The Lumis Student Living, Cardiff property in Cardiff offers a variety of student housing options, including ensuite rooms and student halls. There are numerous shops, pubs, and restaurants within a minute's walk of the hotel, which is not very far from the city centre. The home is well situated, just a 15-minute walk from Cardiff University and the University of Wales.
Amenities: Wifi, Gym, Games room, Communal area, On-site laundry, 24/7 CCTV, etc.
8: The West Wing
Cardiff's The West Wing is an opulent student residence that provides shared and individual bathrooms, studio flats, and a penthouse. Cardiff University and the University of Wales are both 5 minutes away from the home, which is situated on Glossop Rd. This accommodation stands out because it provides a wide range of opulent room types that are appropriate for each and every student that enters.
Amenities: Quiet study area, Gym, Multimedia room, Games Area, Social space, Laundry, Courtyard, Courtyard, etc.
Zenith's student housing Cardiff provides students with a really amazing experience right in the centre of Cardiff. Cardiff is located in a prime area for students, adjacent to many campuses, including the University of South Wales, which is only an 8-minute walk away. Zenith, which is located in Cardiff's Capital Quarter, is only a short stroll from all that the city has to offer. Universities, Cardiff Bay, and the main commercial area are all close by.
Amenities: Communal kitchen, Cinema room, Karaoke room, Study spaces, Exclusive sky lounge, Rooftop terrace, etc.
10. Crown Place
In order to help you feel as at home as possible, Crown Place is a contemporary Cardiff student housing. The lodging has a variety of studio, two-bedroom, and one-bedroom apartments that are always created to make you feel at home. The University of South Wales is 9 minutes drive and 5 minutes walk from Cardiff University, respectively.
Amenities: Gym, Study room, Two Cinema Rooms, Laundry Room, Games Room, Dining Room, Exclusive Social Events, Courtyard, Communal Lounge Area, Wifi, etc.
Questions to ask before finalising the accommodation
Going through the process of looking for accommodation, finalising one and signing the contract can be overwhelming. We have made a list of questions that you need to ask before you finalise a perfect Cardiff student housing for yourself so that you are assured that you have made the right choice.
- How far will I be from my university?
- What are the neighbours like?
- How is the area, and what do the neighbours think of it?
- How far is the closest bus/tram/subway stop, and are the services regular?
- Will I need to spend money on furniture, or is the room already furnished?
- How safe is the neighbourhood, and how secure is the property?
- Will bills be included in the rent?
- Am I allowed to redecorate?
Moving in Checklist for Students
Viola! You found yourself a home away from home, finally. The only thing left to do is start packing and moving into your student accommodation. As we all love lists, here is a list to start packing for your big move.
- Important documents
- Electronics and accessories
- A variety of clothing according to the weather
- Stationery for university
- Utensils and cutlery
- Bedsheets, blankets and pillows
- Medical items
For the ultimate list, you can click here.
Scams and Frauds
In order to fool and deceive you into parting with a lot of money, scammers and con artists prey on renters by working under the guise of accountability, legal paperwork, and paper trails. At amber, we care about your security and want to make sure you have a smooth booking experience. You can check the following points so that you can avoid rental fraud or scams.
- Never pay using cash or non-traceable methods.
- Always view the accommodation before finalising it.
- Don’t provide confidential or sensitive information.
- Make sure the landlord passes the vibe check.
- Connect with the current tenants to get their opinion of the property and area.
You can know more about rental fraud and how to avoid them.
We sincerely hope that this Cardiff student housing guide helped you in your search for student housing in Cardiff. If you're looking for a place to continue higher education, this city should unquestionably be on your list because it provides a multitude of student-friendly activities. You will discover a lot more during your stay in Cardiff and will not want to leave this area!