Every year many students from all around the world choose Australia for their higher studies. University applications, LORs, SOPs, searching for dorm rooms, and commute arrangements - students have a lot on their plates. Despite all this, they cannot afford to forget the essential part of their documentation, study visa and Australian Student Visa requirements! To all international students, here's your list of Australian student visa requirements to study in Australia!
Types of Australian Student Visa
All overseas students must apply for an Australian Student Visa subclass 500, under which there are variations. The student visa under subclass 500 are:
Subclass 570 (Independent ELICOS visa)
This visa type is for foreign students who wish to pursue an English Language Course for Overseas Students(ELICOS) as their stand-alone degree.
Subclass 571 (School Sector visa)
This visa type is for International students who wish to enrol in an Australian educational institution with one of the following significant degrees:
- Primary school course
- Secondary school course
- Authorised secondary exchange program
Subclass 572 ( Vocational education and training sector)
This visa type includes I, II, III, IV, Diploma and Advanced diploma certificates.
Subclass 573 (Higher education sector visa)
This visa type includes Bachelor's degree, Graduate certificate and diploma courses.
Subclass 574 ( Postgraduate research sector visa)
This visa type includes PhD degree and a Master's in research or other degrees.
Subclass 575 (Non-award sector visa)
This visa type includes courses, diplomas and degrees which don't result in a student receiving an Australian award.
Subclass 576 (Foreign affairs or Defence sector visa)
This visa type consists of full-time courses students opt for supported by AusAID or the defence as an educational training programme issued by any Australian educational institution.
Student Visa fee for subclass 500
Here we have presented a brief overview of the Australian student visa fee. The Australian visa cost includes the following:
- Base application charge - $630
- Additional application charges (for 18 years and above) - $460
- Additional application charges (if less than 18 years) - $150
- Subsequent temporary application charge - $700
Study In Australia Student Visa Requirements
Like in any other student visa requirements, specific criteria must be met for your student visa to get approved. Here is a rundown of all the documents and requirements needed to apply for an Australian student visa
An Offer Letter
You'll receive an Offer Letter from your preferred education provider if the University or college is pleased with their application, supporting documents, and interview. The offer letter is a required document in Australian student visa requirements. Before you accept the letter, these are the things you need to keep in mind:
- You must read the offer letter carefully before accepting the offer. The letter includes your course information, admission procedure, and course fees you need to pay if they accept the offer.
- When accepting your offer letter, you must be aware of all your rights, including the refund procedure, which will determine whether you should be refunded.
- Only accept if you're happy with the offer being presented, and keep a copy of the offer letter.
Confirmation of Enrolment
Once you have accepted and paid to your preferred institution, they will confirm the offer. After the institution receives the funds, it will issue a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). To verify your enrolment in a specific programme, the education provider will issue a CoE document which is an essential part of the Australian Student visa requirements. You then submit the CoE from your chosen educational institution along with the Australian student visa application form. The Australian government needs to receive a copy of this document as well as the visa application, so they can confirm your enrolment in the required course.
Proof of Sufficient Funds
You have to prove that you possess the funds to support yourself during your stay in Australia to be given an Australian student visa. Two ways to satisfy this condition:
- You must provide a bank statement and documentation of awards or scholarships. This will prove that you have sufficient funds to pay for your chosen course expenses, including the cost of living in the city you are moving to.
- You have to provide documents of your parent's, Guardian's or panther's annual income, which must exceed AUD $62,222 a year prior to your application. To invite family members, the minimum annual salary has to be at least AUD 72,592.
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
GTE was introduced in November 2011. According to the GTE criteria, all the students that apply for the Australian student visa are required to show a sincere wish to visit Australia for a short time to accompany or for further studies as a dependent or a guardian. The Department of Home Affairs is the decision maker. The following factors will be considered:
- The situation in your own country
- The possibility for Australian students
- Your Immigration History
- The importance of your preferred course to your future
To determine if your GTE requirements meet, You may be needed to appear for an interview at the closest Australian embassy or consulate.
English Language Proficiency
If you want to get your Australian student visa approved, it is essential for you to have some language ability to show the Australian authorities. You can do so by appearing for the Language Proficiency Test. Here are some test and their scores that are acceptable:
- TOEFL: 46
- IELTS: 5.5 or 6
- PTE: 42
- OET: B is the last grade for each test component.
- CAE: 162
Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
As an international student in Australia, you need to have an OSHC for the duration of your stay. If you don't show a purchase proof of the OSHC, your student visa application will be denied.
Here is how OSHC will cover you in Australia:
- Your medical or hospital care while studying in Australia
- Most of your prescription medicines
- Provide ambulance cover in emergencies.
It is mandatory for students to be in good health before migrating to Australia. As a result, you need to undergo a health exam and provide a medical certificate that proves you meet the health requirements. You might not need to retake the test if you have had a health examination in the last 12 months. The basic test includes a general medical examination and a chest X-ray if age 11 or above. Depending upon your course and its duration If you may need to undergo a few additional tests to pass your health requirements.
You are required to meet a level of character requirement if you wish to study in Australia. You have to answer some basic questions about your past conduct and character. There are some cases where students need to provide a police background check.
Documents Required For Australian Visa
Students can use the documents checklist tool on the Australian Department of Home Affairs website to generate a list of the documents required for their particular circumstances. Students are generally required to submit the following paperwork:
There are some additional documents that need to be provided than the ones mentioned above. Some of these documents include the following:
- Your Certified academic documents/ transcripts
- Details of your health insurance policy
- Evidence of proficiency in the English language
- Financial documents
- Official criminal records and their verified documents
- Proof of welfare arrangements (if the student is younger than 18 years)
How can I apply for an Australian Student visa?
You can easily apply for an Australia student visa online using the ImmiAccount application (Immigration Account). The online ImmiAccount application system must be used to submit applications after students have collected and scanned their supporting documents. The revised Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) Guidelines have made the Australian student visa application procedure more straightforward and online. Follow these steps To apply for an Australian Student Visa:
- Signup for an ImmiAccount and log in.
- Fill in the respective visa application form for the subclass you are eligible for
- Attach documents, details, address, passport details, and email. You should provide additional documents. For example, if you are under 18, you'll need Parental consent.
- Login to your ImmiAccount and track your application.
- All online applications are given a unique number called a Transaction Reference Number (TRN). You can use your TRN to check the status of the application for your Australian student visa.
- It will help you manage your application, decide whether to contact the visa centre and verify your Australian student visa requirements.
If you would like to work after your graduation you will have to apply for the Post study work visa and know it’s requirements.
What can your Australian student visa do for you?
Once you are granted your Australian Student Visa, you will be able to allowed to do the following:
- Let you enrol for eligible courses of study in Australia.
- Take family members with you.
- Travel to and from Australia
- Work up to 40 hours every two weeks after the beginning of the academic course.
- Apply for a visa online in or outside Australia
Apart from the above benefits here why Australia is a great choice for further education and it’s 8 secret benefits of studying in Australia.
Tips to make sure your Visa Remains Valid
Once you receive your Visa, there are only a few things you must keep in mind for it to remain valid. Here are some pointers on how to make sure your Visa remains valid:
- Maintain a good attendance record and academic scores.
- Provide your Australian address of residency to your University just in case they need to contact you. Make sure to update them if you move to a different place.
- Make sure that you possess enough funds to cover your cost of living throughout your stay in Australia.
- Make sure to work only within your visa permits, do not exceed it.
How does amber assist students worldwide?
Skylark Overseas Education was founded to assist aspiring students in making balanced career choices, thereby producing knowledgeable, broad-minded, and self-aware individuals. Skylark is a service provider for Australian admissions and visas. We are dedicated and committed to helping students make their admission process effortless. We bring on our panel of experts to help you navigate your way into your dream university. We are committed to helping you, so we ensure not to leave any stone unturned.
We do our best to bring to your notice any and every scholarship you have a potential chance of winning. We also put the same efforts into the last leg of the process, procuring your Visa. You can leave the technicalities to us and relax because our experts will seamlessly guide you through everything. Skylark has assisted over 8000 students with admissions into 700 universities in 10 different countries with a 95% visa success rate. Enjoy your stay in Australia, and don't forget to say hi to the Koalas and the Penguins! Oh, and on your way out, check out our blog! https://www.skylark-infobase.com/
In conclusion, Obtaining an Australian student visa requires a great deal of research and preparation. Additionally, you must have an appropriate visa to enter and remain in Australia and have all necessary student visa requirements ready for your visa application. With the right preparation, international students can successfully obtain an Australian student visa and experience the exciting opportunities that await them in Australia. In case you're still confused about how to go about the Australian student visa process, you can check this Australian Student Visa Guide 2023 to clear your doubts! If you weren’t aware of this there are some courses for permanent residence in Australia.