Canada is a notable study-abroad destination with world-class universities, abundant research opportunities, decent student accomodation facilities, and easy stay-back options. Did you know there were 621,656 international students in Canada from 2000 to 2021. Of all the courses, masters in Canada have the highest number of applicants every year. But the question here is, “Is pursuing Masters in Canada worth it?” Let us find out an estimate of the costs to study in Canada.
Why study in Canada?
If you want to receive a top-notch education, studying in Canada makes perfect sense. You can study from professionals in your area and gain access to cutting-edge facilities at some of Canada's top colleges. Not to mention, Canada has some of the best Masters programmes in the country, allowing you to advance your education and specialise in your desired field. Canada is the place to go if you're searching for a new challenge or simply want to improve your skills.
One distinguishing feature of studying masters in Canada is the affordable tuition fees and living costs, including student housing. Compared to other major study abroad destinations like US and UK, the cost of MS in Canada for most students is comparatively less. Of course, it also depends on the type of course/university and lifestyle you opt for.
Top 5 Universities for MS in Canada
Whether you're interested in pursuing a master's degree or just want to continue your education, you'll find plenty of options in Canada. We have also curated a list of top universities for masters in Canada to help you research better.
1. University of Toronto
As one of the top universities in Canada, University of Toronto is known for its strong research programs and diverse range of subjects. If you're interested in pursuing a masters in Canada, you'll find plenty of options at this prestigious institution. Some of its most famous master's programs include Master of Management in Artificial Intelligence, Master of Data Science, and Master of Public Health. These programs are designed to help you gain the skills you need to succeed in your desired field.
• QS World Ranking 2022: 26
• Average fees: 35,000 CAD - 65,000 CAD
2. McGill University
Located in Montreal, Quebec, McGill University is a leader in interdisciplinary studies. With a wide range of master's programs to choose from, you'll be able to find the perfect program to suit your interests and career goals. Some of its most popular master's programs include Master of Business Administration, Master of Education, and Master of Science. These programs are designed to give you a comprehensive education that will prepare you for a successful future.
• QS World Ranking 2022: 27
• Average fees: 25,000 CAD - 35,000 CAD
3. University of British Columbia
Nestled in the stunning city of Vancouver, University of British Columbia is a great option for students who want a well-rounded education. With a beautiful campus and innovative programs, this university is a top choice for students from all over the world. Some of its most famous master's programs include Master of Engineering in Clean Energy, Master of Occupational Therapy, and Master of Land and Water Systems. These programs are designed to give you the skills and knowledge you need to make a difference in your field.
• QS World Ranking 2022: 46
• Average fees: 40,000 CAD - 80,000 CAD
4. Université de Montréal
As one of the largest universities in Canada, Université de Montréal is known for its innovative programs and strong research focus. With a wide range of master's programs to choose from, you'll be able to find the perfect program to suit your interests and career goals. Some of its most popular master's programs include Master of Business Administration, Master of Education, and Master of Science in Computer Science.
• QS World Ranking 2022: 111
• Average fees: 22,000 CAD - 35,000 CAD
5. University of Alberta
Located in Edmonton, Alberta, University of Alberta is a top choice for students who want to further their education. With a strong focus on research, this university is known for its innovative programs and world-renowned professors. Some of its most famous master's programs include Master of Business Administration, Master of Science in Environmental and Conservation Sciences, and Master of Science in Nursing.
• QS World Ranking 2022: 126
• Average fees: 20,000 CAD - 45,000 CAD
Best Masters programs in Canada
Highlights of Studying Masters in Canada
From appearing for various standardized tests, applying to universities, finally getting your student visa, and booking your air tickets, studying master's at any Canada university can cost a fortune. But do not worry, as we have got you covered. Discussed below are some key highlights on why pursuing MS in Canada is worth it and ways to handle your expenses:
- Thirty MS universities in Canada feature in the QS World University Ranking 2023, with McGill University occupying the top position.
- Canada offers a high return on investment for masters courses from top universities. For instance, a fresh master's graduate's average salary ranges from 65,000 CAD to 75,000 CAD.
- After completing masters in Canada, you can apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), which offers the opportunity to stay in Canada for up to 3 years. You can also extend it to a permanent residence status if you continue to work in Canada.
- There has been an addition of 21,000 jobs in September 2022 in Canada since May 2022. Such new opportunities indicate a flourishing economy from which international students Canada can benefit. Applying for a PGWP or PR in Canada is entirely worth it.
What is the Cost of Living in Canada for International Students?
Moving to a new country can sure be daunting but Canada will make sure you feel at home at all times. In fact we have curated a list of the top 5 cities in Canada which will be perfect for you. The cost of studying and living in any country depends on many factors like student accommodation in Canada, transportation, food, leisure, entertainment, etc. On average, you may estimate the living expenses for international students in Canada to be around 15,000 CAD - 20,000 CAD. A breakdown of all the essential costs is given below:
• Student Accomodation: 400 CAD - 600 CAD
• Food & Groceries: 200 CAD - 300 CAD
• Transportation: 80 CAD
• Miscellaneous: 600 CAD - 700 CAD
Tips to Save on Masters in Canada Cost
You can't avoid the primary study abroad expenses, but you can surely minimize them. The trick here is to be smart with every penny you spend or try to earn some. Listed below are some excellent tips to handle the cost of studying masters in Canada:
- There is a multitude of scholarships for international students in Canada that are well-funded. They are categorised into: Government Scholarships, Non-Government Scholarships, and Canadian University Scholarships.
- International students studying masters in Canada can opt for various part-time jobs. The time limit is 20 hours per week during the semester.
- Canada offers multiple student cards through which you can get amazing discounts on public transportation, food, stationery, and entertainment. So use your Canadian student card and save up on your pocket money!
- As an international student, looking for budget friendly student accommodation in Canada is the trick. Good accommodations will cover the basic utility costs and will be closer to your university helping you save on the daily commute.
Is Studying Masters in Canada Worth it?
The answer is YES! With so many ways to fund your studying and living costs in Canada, you can easily manage your expenses on a decent budget. Besides, you can also start your professional career through the postgraduate work permit and settle permanently in due course of time. Hence, pursuing masters in Canada is no less than an investment with rewarding returns. So, buck up and get in touch with the best study abroad consultants to turn your study abroad dreams into reality.