What are you, an engineer, mate? Gone are the days when this was used to make fun of intelligent people (some might even call them nerds). The wheels of time have finally turned, and guess what's relaxed and in demand? Engineering. And Engineers are now the cool kids on the block who are at the forefront of building and creating valuable and marvellous structures and machines that make everyone's lives, including those who make fun of engineers' lives, very easy. And this is why we have curated a guide to Australia, from the best engineering universities in Australia to the eligibility and fees provided so that you can become one of the cool kids.
Why study engineering in Australia?
Australia is a popular choice for international students pursuing higher education; Engineering in Australia is a 4–6 year full-time programme. You will be able to study at the best engineering universities in Australia that offer top-notch instruction and have state-of-the-art labs and research facilities. Your career will be boosted by earning a degree in engineering from an Australian university that provides the best engineering courses recognised globally.
According to the top 50 of Times Higher Education's topic ranking for 2020, 4 Australian universities rank for Chemical Engineering, 6 for Civil Engineering and 1 more for Mechanical Engineering. Between 2002 and 2010, the number of international students studying engineering climbed by 81.8%, and in 2010, 43% of all engineering graduates in Australia were international students; the Australian National Engineering Taskforce backs this.
How to study engineering in Australia?
You must pass an IELTS-style English proficiency test to study engineering in Australia. You must earn an overall IELTS score of 6.5 Bands, with a minimum of 6 Bands in each of the four modules, and be unconcerned with undergraduate and graduate programmes in the best engineering universities.
You must have finished your senior secondary education in your home country before applying to a university for an undergraduate programme. When applying for admission, you must also provide your paperwork, including your transcripts and certificates.
For a postgraduate programme, you must submit your undergraduate and senior secondary education certificates at the time of application if you choose to pursue a master's degree in Australia.
Check out our guide to student scholarships in Australia for more information.
Requirements for engineering in Australia
To study engineering in Australia, you must understand the admission requirements for Engineering in Australia, such as the English language, academic healthcare coverage and visa requirements.
- Proof of English proficiency test IELTS or TOEFL
- Application form
- Academic Transcripts for previous qualifications
Check out our guide to Australia's grading system to understand the academic requirements in detail.
- Academic records with their grades and scores
- Official transcripts of completed secondary education.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency
- Statement of Purpose to study in Australia
- Official IDs: Birth certificate, passport
- Financial Affidavit
- Experienced candidates should send their resumes and recent statements of employment.
Student visa to Australia
To study engineering in Australia, you can apply for a visa online by paying an introductory fee of AU$620 and submitting the following documents:
- Student visa application form.
- Copy of valid passport.
- Certificate of Confirmation of Enrolment or Letter of Offer.
- Evidence of sufficient funds to finance your stay (minimum of AU$ 18,000).
- Overseas Health Cover receipt.
- 4 recent passport-size photographs.
- For individuals under 18, a parent consent letter is required.
Best engineering courses in Australia
An Australian degree in engineering qualifies you to practise as a licenced professional engineer. You will learn integrated job experiences and practical hands-on design and construction tasks to strengthen your problem-solving abilities at the best engineering universities. Some popular areas of specialisation with high job prospects in Australia are
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Systems
- Robotics and Mechatronics Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
Scholarships for engineering students in Australia 2023
Students might locate appropriate scholarships to study at the best engineering universities in Australia through the institution, regional businesses and organisations or by contacting an industry professional. The sort of scholarship the student is applying for determines eligibility.
Australian University Scholarships
1. The University of Adelaide
- Eynesbury College International Scholarship
- Global Academic Excellence Scholarship
2. Monash University
- Monash International Merit Scholarship
- Monash Accounting Honours Scholarship
- Deakin International Scholarship
3. Deakin University
- Deakin International Scholarship
- Deakin Vice-chancellor's Meritorious Scholarship
4. University of Melbourne
- Melbourne Graduate Scholarships
- Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarships
5. Federation University
- 2021 International Excellence Scholarship
- Foundation Scholarships
6. University of Sydney
- The University of Sydney International Scholarship
4. University of South Wales
- University of New South Wales International Scholarships
Best engineering universities in Australia
Best engineering universities in Australia
According to QS and THE rankings 2022, over ten institutions are regarded as the finest engineering colleges in Australia. Most engineering degree-granting universities in Australia rank among the top 50-100 universities worldwide. Australia's top engineering universities provide courses that include diplomas offered by TAFE Institutes, undergraduate, and postgraduate teaching, postgraduate research, and doctoral-level programmes taught at Australian universities, among others.
University of New South Wales
The University of New South Wales is one of the best engineering universities in Australia. It is rated number 41 on the list of the Best Global Universities. The engineering and law faculties at UNSW are among the strongest in Australia. Our accounting and finance programmes are also the best in Australia, per the 2022 QS, World University Rankings by Subject.
Undergraduate courses - AU$35,000 - 48,000
Postgraduate courses - AU$47,000 - 50,000
University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is listed as the world's 25th-best University. According to the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022, the University of Melbourne is placed eighth internationally for graduate employability due to its international focus and alignment with the best engineering universities.
Undergraduate courses - AU$40,000 - 50,000
Postgraduate courses - AU$35,000 - 40,000
Monash University is included at position 40 on the ranking of the Best Global Universities. Schools are evaluated according to how well they meet a set of commonly accepted quality standards. Learn more about our school rankings here. The Group of Eight, an association of the prestigious best engineering universities in Australia known for their brilliance in teaching and research, includes Monash.
Undergraduate courses - AU$30,000 - 38,000
Postgraduate courses - AU$70,000 - 80,000
University of Sydney
The University of Sydney is listed among the top 10 universities in the world in various academic fields. The University consistently ranks in the top 50 institutions worldwide. It is well-known worldwide for achieving excellence in teaching, research, student life, and graduate employability and is counted among the best engineering universities in Australia.
Undergraduate courses - AU$47,000 - 53,000
Postgraduate courses - AU$48,000 - 52,000
University of Queensland
The University of Queensland has earned more Australian Awards for University Teaching than any other nationwide university and is among the best engineering universities in Australia. It also draws many of Queensland's top academic achievers and students from other states and abroad. According to the Academic Rankings of World Universities, the University of Queensland is among the top 50 universities worldwide. In the 2022 results, UQ rose four spots to a new global ranking of number 47. Check out our blog to learn all about the admissions process at the University of Queensland here.
Undergraduate courses - AU$43,000 - 50,000
Postgraduate courses - AU$45,000 - 50,000
Credit System in Australia
A carefully thought-out credit system oversees your studies in Australia. Students receive credits according to the hours they spend studying each week.
- Credit score requirements for Australian universities often vary from 6 to 8. Depending on the University you are attending, this could change.
- To complete your bachelor's, you need 144 credit scores, which must be earned in three years, according to the Australian credit score system.
- In Australia, 96 credits are needed to graduate with a master's degree.
Career opportunities after engineering in Australia
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics figures on the labour market study, the economy gained roughly 33,500 jobs in August 2022. The percentage of persons actively seeking employment, as measured by the participation rate, increased to 66.6%. The economy added 58,800 full-time jobs while eliminating 25,300 part-time ones. The unemployment rate increased slightly from the 3.4% rate recorded for July to 3.5%.
Learn from the best engineering universities in Australia, make an appealing first resume, and apply for these top in-demand engineering fields in Australia.
- Civil Engineer - a broad field that deals with urban and regional planning, architecture and building, construction project management, and more.
- Mechanical Engineer - demands critical thinking and analytical skills and deals with robotics, mechatronic engineering, automation, and manufacturing systems.
- Electrical Engineer - deals with phonetics, electrical power engineering, professional engineering, entrepreneurship, innovation, and more.
- Mining Engineer - this demands part of technical design and part of business management; the mining engineer figures out where valuable and accessible materials exist.
- Petroleum Engineer - the Engineer designs and develops methods for extracting oil and gas for the country’s energy needs.
- Environmental Engineer - as an environmental engineer, you will find solutions to environmental challenges that impact the health and well-being of society and the environment.
- Telecommunication Engineer - this is a subfield of electrical engineering that designs and devises systems that range from basic circuit design to strategic mass developments.
- Marine Engineer - deals with engineering any marine vessel, ocean systems, and structure.
- Software Engineer - this field is in demand and deals with computer and network engineering, computer information systems, and mobile application development.
- Construction Engineer - deals with designing, planning, constructing, and managing infrastructures.
Check out our blogs if you are looking for part-time jobs as a student in Melbourne.
That was all you needed to know about Engineering in Australia and the best engineering universities in Australia. We hope this guide gave you a gist of studying engineering in Australia. We hope you find this information helpful. Study at the best engineering universities in Australia and maybe consider permanent residency as you do. All the best!