Posted on August 1, 2017
#UK #Visa  #Immigration 
Types of Student Visas

A short-term study visa is applicable if you’re studying a short course and are over 18 years old. This visa is valid up to six months for most short courses and can be extended for a stay of up to 11 months for English language courses.

If you’re studying a longer course, you can either apply for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa (if you’re aged 4–17 and want to study at an independent school in the UK) or a Tier 4 (General) student visa for those aged 16 and over. A Tier 4 visa is applicable if the course is six months or longer. Students going for undergrad and post-graduation courses are eligible for the Tier 4 student visa.

Application Process

You must_ _apply online for the Tier 4 (General) Student visa, ensuring you’ve read the full guidance here. You can apply up to three months before the start of your course.

Visa Requirements & Eligibility Criteria

In order to meet all the Australian student visa requirements, you’ll need to provide:

  • Details of your passport
  • A recent photograph
  • An unconditional acceptance letter of a course offered by a licensed Tier 4 Sponsor, evidenced by a ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies’ (CAS) form from your course provider (worth 30 points) — Like the i20 in US.
  • Proof of adequate English language skills, demonstrated by passing one of the secure English language tests (SELT). You will not need to provide this if you’re from an English-speaking country such as the United States or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in an English-speaking country.
  • Proof you have financial support throughout your stay in the UK (worth 10 points). This can take the form of bank statements or a letter from your financial sponsor, showing you can cover your tuition fees, accommodation and living costs.
  • You may also be required to produce documents showing your academic qualifications.
  • Depending on your country of origin, you may also be required to have certain medical vaccinations or undertake a tuberculosis test.
  • Biometric test is also required, which involves a digital scan of your fingerprints and a digital photograph.
  • If you’re 16 or 17 years old and applying for the Tier 4 (General) student visa, you must have written consent from your parents/guardians that you can live and travel independently.
  • If you are a student applying under the points based system (Tier 4), you may be required to attend a short interview at the visa application centre. When selecting your appointment during the online application process you should select a PBS Tier 4 appointment.
Cost of VISA application

The current fee for the Tier 4 (General) student visa is £328, with an additional £328 fee per person for any dependents. You’ll also need to pay a healthcare surcharge of £150 per year in order to access the National Health Service (NHS) during your stay.

The Short Term Study Visa costs £89 for the six month option and £170 for the 11 month visa.

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

After the Process of Application

You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. 9 out of 10 Indian nationals who apply for their UK visa get one.

Your passport will be returned to you by the Embassy approved courier service. You cannot collect your passport in person. To ensure that there are no delays with the delivery, you must register with courier at the time you schedule the appointment for the visa interview.

Students Under this Visa are Allowed to:

  • Do an unpaid work during study time.
  • Can carry out full-time work during holidays.
  • Can accomplish a work placement as a part of your course.
  • Can work as a postgraduate dentist or doctor on a recognised organisation Programme.
  • Can work as a student union vacation officer 2 years.
Immigration Checks on Arrival

At the passport desk a Border Force officer will ask to see your passport or travel document and any supporting documentation necessary for your visit and put a stamp on it that states the duration of your stay in the UK. Your passport must be valid for the whole of your stay. For example, if your course is 12 months or more, you can stay for the full duration of the course plus an additional four months. You cannot extend your stay beyond this period. Before you arrive, you must make sure you are fully immunized. Also remember to pack your immunization record in your hand luggage. You should also carry the documents relating to your studies (including your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies or CAS number), your proof of finances and your proof of accommodation.

How AmberStudent will help you

AmberStudent provides you with 24x7 assistance for apartment search and booking in UK, to make your renting experience easy. The representatives help you find the perfect apartment as per your preferences. With over 100+ apartments around United Kingdom you can pick the accommodation of your choice at affordable prices.

Want apartment of your choice?Get response within 16 hours
24x7 Personal Assistance

Verified Property

Free Service

Just give your preferences & get best apartments for your stay without any hassle.

By submitting this form you agree to our Terms and Privacy policy