Pursuing studies in the United States is a dream for many students, and when you think about studying abroad, it is the first country that comes to mind. One of the primary reasons people choose to study in the US is the abundance of Ivy League universities there. Only a select percentage of the applicants that apply to these universities from around the world get accepted. A batch-based admissions method is used by US colleges three times a year. They accept applications for specific courses and colleges throughout each intake period. Still, we are here to assist you with the finer points of intakes in USA and the admissions process.
Types of Intakes in USA
The 3 US Intakes: Summer, Fall and Spring
The deadline for the spring intake in USA, which begins in January, is between July and December of the preceding year. Most overseas study students choose the fall intake in USA, which is the most prevalent. Late August until early September is when the fall term starts. On the other hand, the universities only offer a small selection of courses for the summer intake. Here are the top 15 scholarships in the USA to keep in mind while applying.
Making an educated assumption as to which university in the US is best for you is an issue that always surfaces. Because each university in the US offers a unique range of courses based on its requirements and availability, finding the right university and course for them is advised, followed by waiting for the application process to open and deciding what US intakes to choose and focusing on your scores. Do your research and complete all the paperwork.
Spring Intake in USA
Deadline - July 2023 - December 2023
Classes start - January 2024
Criteria - IELTS, GRE, GMAT or TOEFL
There are many applications for spring intake in USA from all over the world. International students prefer the fall intake over the spring intake. However, there are certain misconceptions about spring admissions. Since the spring intake in USA begins in January, you would be starting in the middle of the academic year, which would immediately push your graduation date back. You can start outlining your educational goals six months before your overseas study trip. Compared to other intakes, spring courses enable you to complete your degree more quickly and get started on your goals and career earlier. Spring intake in USA is superior in many aspects since Spring intake allows for a seamless transition into international study due to less competition, and the admission process is more straightforward than the fall intake. Here's an overview of the spring intake in US 2024.
Internship & Job Opportunities for Spring Intake in USA
It may be harder to find an internship or job opportunity after studying during the Spring intake in USA. Still, there are opportunities available through contacts or networking, and there is a high probability of finding work irrespective of your courses. On Campus jobs or internships and working with professors are the most preferred opportunities. Here is the importance of getting an internship as a student.
Top courses for spring intake in USA
- MS in Computer Science and Software Engineering,
- MS in Chemistry,
- MS in Data Science
Top Universities for spring intake in USA
- Stevens Institute of Technology
- Florida International University
- University of Texas, Dallas
- California State University
- Arizona State University
- Howard Univeristy
Fall Intake in USA
Deadline - November 2023 - July 2023
Classes start - August 2024
Criteria - IELTS, TOEFL, ACT, SAT, GMAT or GRE
Most students who want to study overseas favour the fall intake in USA, which is also considered one of the primary intakes in USA universities; hence, it is the most popular of all three intakes. Fall intakes also mark the start of the academic year, and many universities offer a large selection of core programmes and courses during this intake. Late August and early September mark the beginning of the fall semester. Here's an overview of the fall intake in US 2024.
Internship & Job Opportunities for Fall Intake in USA
The fall intake in USA provides more chances in terms of scholarships and financial aid for the students. It is also simple to discover internships and work opportunities during the fall intake. TA or research internships or opportunities are popular among students. Here is a how to get an internship guide.
Top courses for fall intake in USA
- Bussiness and Management
- Computer Science and IT
- Creative Arts and Design
- Humanities and Liberal Arts
Top universities or fall intake in USA
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- Harvard University
- University of South Florida
- the George Mason University
- University of Illinois, Chicago
Summer Intake In USA
Deadline - January 2024 - April 2024
Classes start - May 2025
Criteria - SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS or PTE
After the fall and spring intake, universities only offer summer intake in USA. However, few universities make specific courses open to applications. The universities this season mainly offer language programmes for non-English speakers and some cultural events. Enrollment for the summer intake in USA runs from May through August. Given that they only last two months, summer classes are less well-liked. Several universities in the United States accept applications for the summer semester, although only a few departments at such universities offer summer courses. In US universities, the Summer Intake starts in June and lasts two to three months. Below is an overview of the summer intake in USA in 2024.
Internship & Job Opportunities for Summer Intake in USA
Finding work and internships is the sole benefit of taking a summer semester. Students in the summer semester will have the first chance to find employment because they are ahead of typical students in the autumn semester. Here is how to get scholarships in the USA.
Top Courses for summer intake in USA
- MS Biomedical Engineering
- MS in Finance
- MS in American Studies
- MS in Business Law
- BS in Finance, Arts, Education, Business
- Design and Journalism
Top universities for summer intake in USA
- Stanford University
- Bridgewater State University
- University of Oregon
- New York University
- Boston University
- University of Houston
- The University of Illinois at Chicago
Things to Keep in Mind While Choosing an Intake
Choosing a particular US intake may seem confusing and a lot of factors need to be taken into consideration before deciding.
- Know what you want to study and ensure the colleges you are interested in have your ideal field.
- Read about the advantages and disadvantages of US intakes and understand what fits your criteria..
- Find out how much tuition and fees will cost and ask about financial aid opportunities and scholarships of the US intakes.
- Know about your accommodations and the area where you can reside.
- Know the facilities your potential campus can offer.
Application Process for intakes in USA
Once you've decided what US intake to enrol in, start your application process by complying with these admission standards. Check out the USA student visa guide for help getting a student visa.
- In addition to other required educational documents, you must submit confirmation that you have completed 12th grade if you intend to pursue an undergraduate degree in the US.
- You must meet academic cutoffs and have the preferred educational background to pursue a postgraduate degree in the US. You must also have work experience in a related industry and other documents.
- Take exams like the IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, SAT, ACT, PTE, DET, and others as required by the university.
- University application materials should include a 10th & 12th mark sheets, a valid passport, a statement of purpose (SOP), academic transcripts, a resume or curriculum vitae (CV), SAT/GMAT/ACT/GRE scores, and proof of English language ability.
In most cases, universities take 8 to 10 weeks to inform applicants of their acceptance or rejection. The specific answer as to when you can anticipate a response will depend on the individual admission policies of each university, so be sure to check those as well.
When you have the university's acceptance letter, you can submit the paperwork to apply for an F1 student visa, such as a passport, identity proof, application fee payment receipt, and photo.
Tips for US Intake Application
- Applications usually become available by the middle of December or the start of January. Therefore, begin preparing for your English evaluation tests and visa interviews by June or July
- Following a timetable to stay organised, particularly when studying for examinations, will guarantee that you devote enough time to studying while continuing your daily activities.
- Create an excel sheet with all of your universities' names and appropriate data. This information may include the programme name, course link, due date, cost of living average, essay prompts (if any), application link, and login information.
- The months shown for the intakes are all one year before the starting year, which means that if you intend to begin your master's programme in the US in the fall of 2024, you should proceed as described in the corresponding months of 2023.
Applying to overseas universities can take a very long time and be laborious. You must exercise patience and caution as you complete each admissions process step. There are drawbacks and benefits to every intake. Before selecting the intake season, it is vital to consider a few things. The Fall Intake in USA has a larger class size than earlier intakes, which means more chances for acceptance. In contrast, a candidate with a solid academic background and additional qualifications is more likely to be admitted into the spring intake in USA. Choose what fits your criteria and start applying. Once you're there, make sure to make the most of your time studying in the USA.