
Sudanese students affected by the UK government's study visa restrictions are preparing to appeal after the High Court ruled in favor of Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood.
The decision upheld the government's 18-month restriction on visas for students from Sudan, Afghanistan, Cameroon, and Myanmar. The ruling has left several Sudanese students with fully funded master's offers at leading universities unable to begin their courses in September.
According to Sudan Scholars UK, the affected students had secured admissions and scholarships at the University of Oxford, the University of Cambridge, Imperial College London and University College London. However, the visa restrictions now prevent them from travelling to Britain to study in the UK.
In a statement, the organisation said it would continue working with its legal team to challenge the decision.
“The only thing preventing them from starting in September was this decision,” Sudan Scholars UK said, referring to students who had already secured their university places and funding.
The case followed a legal challenge to the Home Office's visa-brake policy, which came into force in March. The policy halted the issuance of the UK student visa to nationals from the four countries as part of efforts to address concerns over asylum claims.
One claim involved three Sudanese women, including two doctors and a pharmacist, who had received master's offers from Oxford and UCL. Their legal representatives argued that Sudan had been subjected to a blanket restriction despite a lack of evidence showing widespread visa abuse among Sudanese nationals.
The students also argued that the Home Office had failed to consider alternative measures or assess individual applications before imposing the restrictions.
The High Court heard their case alongside a separate challenge involving four other students affected by the policy.
For students hoping to study in the UK, the ruling means uncertainty over whether they will be able to take up their places this academic year. Sudan Scholars UK has said it now intends to pursue an appeal.
Before the ruling, Oxford had reportedly agreed to keep the claimants' offers and scholarships open until August 31. UCL had also agreed to defer one student's offer by a year if the legal challenge was successful.
The restrictions have also affected scholarship opportunities. Some students saw their Chevening applications terminated because they were unable to obtain an international student visa under the new policy.
The Home Office introduced the visa-brake policy after stating that asylum claims from visa holders from the four affected countries had increased by more than 470% over four years.
Officials said the measure was designed to prevent abuse of the visa system. However, universities and student groups have criticized the approach, arguing that it could affect genuine students seeking to study in the UK.
The policy has faced criticism from universities, student advocates and the Russell Group, which represents several of the UK's leading universities.
Critics have argued that the restrictions could damage the UK's reputation as a destination for international education. The Russell Group has also pointed out that students from the four affected countries represent less than 0.6% of international students in the country.
The issue has raised wider concerns about access to a UK student visa for students who have already secured university admissions and scholarships.
In July, nine universities announced alternative online and transnational study options through the Mosaik Scholarship for students unable to travel to Britain. While these pathways may allow some students to continue their education, sector leaders have said they cannot fully replace the experience of studying on campus.
For many of the affected Sudanese students, the opportunity to study in the UK remains dependent on the outcome of the planned appeal and whether they can eventually secure an international student visa.
With September approaching, students holding fully funded offers now face the possibility of missing the start of their master's programmes despite having already secured places at some of the UK's most prestigious universities.
The planned appeal could determine whether these students are given another opportunity to study in the UK and take up the scholarships and university places they had already earned.