Posted on April 5, 2021
#UnitedKingdom #InternationalStudents #HealthCare 

To obtain health care in the UK, you should register with a General Practitioner (GP) when you reach there. Your university will give you details regarding how and when to do this locally. Settling down in a new country is a very hectic period for an international student, and there are various transitions to go through then. These circumstances lead to a lesser focus on your health than usual. 

Pre-existing health problems can be agitated by the after-effects of climate change, food intake and the emotional unwell being from staying away from home. 

This article aims to guide you on looking after yourself and viable information on how to get medical treatment in the United Kingdom. It also elaborates international students' privilege to free medical treatment under the UK state health system. It further describes down various options such as Accident & Emergency, Visiting your GP and Hospital Appointments. 

The accident and emergency department in hospitals is for emergencies only. If you are unsure, you must call NHS 111 first or visit your pharmacy, and they will advise you. If you are in Wales, then instead of calling NHS 111, contact NHS Direct Wales. If you are in Northern Ireland, then instead of calling NHS 111, call Northern Ireland's out-of-hours service. 

How the UK medical system works.

GP (doctor) surgery or Health Centres

This is your first resource for clinical treatment. UK residents register with a Health Center or GP's Surgery. The GP can treat most diseases and different issues. However, the GP will allude you to an appropriate clinic office if you need to see a trained professional. Just as conferences with a Doctor, most GP's Surgeries and Health Centers give a scope of local area wellbeing administrations: inoculations, ladies' wellbeing facilities, administrations for guardians of little youngsters, family arranging, contraception and sexual health.

GP Surgeries and Health Centers are ordinarily open during the daytime and early evening. Nonetheless, they typically have a replying mail message about where you can get help when the Surgery or Health Center is shut. Your nearby medical clinic may likewise have an NHS Walk-in Clinic.


If your GP alludes you to a medical clinic for therapy, you will normally be given the arrangement to see an advisor (expert specialist). Depending upon the clinical issue, you might be treated as an in-patient (where you are conceded to a ward and stay there for the time being or more) or as an out-patient (where you visit the emergency clinic for an arrangement). 

If you think you need to see a trained professional, you should move toward your GP first and request that she or he allude to you.

Accident & Emergency (A&E) Department

A few (yet not all) clinics have Accident and Emergency offices. These offices are open 24 hours every day. 

Assume you need prompt clinical help (for instance, due to a mishap), call 999. The call is free, including from cell phones. An administrator will ask you which crisis administration you need (Fire, Police or Ambulance). For critical clinical help, request rescue vehicle administration. Be prepared to tell the crisis administrations what has occurred and precisely where you are, particularly the road name. 

Whenever you are associated with the Emergency Medical Dispatcher, they will ask you inquiries about the patient's condition. She or he may offer counsel on what to do until the rescue vehicle shows up. If the individual is seriously harmed and needs to go to the clinic, a rescue vehicle will be dispatched to take the individual to a clinic Accident and Emergency (A&E) division. 

You are alright to travel on the off chance that you need acute treatment; you should advance by transport or taxi to an Accident and Emergency (A&E) division or request that a companion take you. 

There are zero charges for Accident and Emergency administrations (as long as you are not conceded as an in-patient and don't get to follow-up treatment). You mustn't have paid the migration wellbeing overcharge to utilise them.

An image of students sitting outide wentworth college-600x338

Register with a GP.

When you reach your study in the UK, you must register with a local doctor immediately. Don’t wait for the time you’d fall ill. 

How to register for a GP?

When you reach your study in the UK, you must register with a local doctor immediately. These are highly qualified and trained doctors skilled in diagnosing diverse health issues. They're set up in regional offices called GP Surgeries or Health Centres. Don't wait for the time you'd fall ill. If your university has suitable arrangements for a health centre, then you can register there. If not, you should register with a local doctor soon nearest to your student accommodation in the UK. Suppose you’re studying at the University of Manchester, the University of Wales or any university in the UK having an NHS facility inside the campus you can register for a GP in your respective campuses and if not register with a GP nearest to your student halls Manchester or student accommodation Wales etc. 

To enrol, you're required to visit the local doctor's clinic or the surgery during the visiting hours, taking a letter from your university as proof that you're a student studying in the UK along with your passport and any immigration documents. You're supposed to ask and add yourself to the list of National Health Service (NHS) patients. This indicates that you'll no longer be asked to pay the doctor's fee every time you visit them if you register with a GP. If you prefer, you can ask them to put you on a woman doctor list. If you wish to be seen by a woman doctor, you're supposed to tell them so before making an appointment. 

Who can register?

  • Doctors in England, Wales and Scotland regularly acknowledge students on courses of any length onto their NHS patients' lists. They don't differentiate the very tests that decide if you can have free medical clinic therapy. 

Specialists in Northern Ireland typically acknowledge their NHS patients' arrangements on courses of in any event a half year's length. They additionally believe students on more limited courses financed by the UK Government, the Northern Ireland offices, or the Welsh or Scottish Ministers. 

If you fall into any of the accompanying gatherings, you ought to acquire a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before going to the UK, as the specialist is probably going to treat you similarly as a lasting occupant: 

  • ‘Insured' European Economic Area (EEA) nationals, stateless people or refugees, their family members and the survivors (irrespective of nationality) of these groups of people, insured in each case in an EEA member state. 

  • 'Insured' Swiss or EU nationals, stateless people or outcasts, their relatives and the survivors (independent of ethnicity) of these gatherings of individuals, safeguarded for each situation in Switzerland.

  • Non-EEA nationals are legally residents and ‘insured’ in any EU country except Denmark. 

If the doctor undertakes you as a patient, you will be mailed a medical card through the post with your NHS number. Nevertheless, being registered with the GP (doctor) and having an NHS number doesn’t give you the privilege to access the free hospital treatment. The hospital providing the treatments is accountable for organising whether international students are allowed to free hospital treatments. If the doctor doesn’t take you as a patient, try somewhere else or contact: 

  • England - The Local Primary care trust

  • Scotland - The NHS Board

  • Wales - The Local Health Board

  • Northern Ireland - The Business Services Organisation

How can Amberstudent help you?

We at AmberStudent are devoted to giving you the best experience and option for student accommodation worldwide because we apprehend its value. We have upgraded ourselves continuously with the COVID policies and would be more than eager to assist you in those.

Want apartment of your choice?Get response within 1 hour
24x7 Personal Assistance

Verified Property

Free Service

Just give your preferences & get best apartments for your stay without any hassle.
By submitting form you agree to Terms and Privacy policy