UK Rolls out Scholarship and Financial Aid Schemes to Boost its AI DevelopmentsUK News
In recent UK government scholarship news, the government in Western Europe has announced a £118 million scholarship/skill package to boost the development of AI research facilities and awareness in the region.
There is some good news for those planning to go there for education abroad as these UK scholarships for international students will also be swinging out in full force, and the package will be utilised to fund a range of developmental activities such as:
- 15 new GREAT UK scholarships for international students to encourage foreign students to come and study science and tech courses. Students can apply for up to £10,000 in this UK government scholarship.
- The formation of the £1 million AI Futures Grants Scheme is in the pipeline and set to launch in 2024. It is meant to help and guide researchers from all over the world to relocate to the UK to ply their trade in universities and research centres.
- The UK government is also set to announce the construction of 12 new Research and Innovation Centres for doctoral training in AI. These 12 centres will be located at the University of Surrey, the University of Oxford, the University of Manchester, Imperial College London, and the University of Edinburgh
- The first ever in the country’s history, the UK will be introducing the “Backing Invisible Genius” (BIG), which is an initiative meant to encourage high school students performing well in international science Olympiads to study at a science or tech course. Participating universities include Imperial College London and the University of Cambridge.
- A dedicated visa scheme to ease AI researchers’ entry into the country to study at UK institutes.
Axel Gandy, the head of the Math department at Imperial College London, believes that this initiative and scholarships in UK are an important step in combating the global health and climate crisis, “The best way for science to take on many of the challenges of today, including artificial intelligence, global health and the climate crisis, is to make sure every capable student has the tools to thrive. We look forward to welcoming the first BIG students to Imperial in 2024.”
If you are a student interested in the field of artificial intelligence, definitely keep the UK on your radar for your education abroad. Students looking for the most comfortable and affordable student accommodation can check out some of Amber’s best offerings.