Limited Time Offer

Earn 50 GBP Amazon Gift Card

Refer a friend and get GBP 50 Amazon Gift Card.

Opto's student accommodation in Newcastle features large, sleek studio apartments that offer great value for money.
All bills are included and students will have access to the best student accommodation facilities available on the market including a gym, roof terrace with river views, outdoor events venue, cinema room, courtyard and more! Now taking bookings for the 2019/2020 academic year. 

distance to

Gateshead Millennium Bridge- 3 min walk

The Sage Gateshead- 9 min walk

Northumbria University- 11 min walk

City Centre- 15 min walk

Newcastle University- 19 min walk

Train Station- 18 min walk

Community Facility

Wireless internet
Free on-site gym
Study and meeting areas
On-site laundry
Cinema and games rooms
Occasional events

Apartment Facilities

double bed
Private kitchen with appliances


Standard Suite£165/week


44 week£165/week
51 week£165/week
Bathrooms1 Bath
Private Room
Private Bathroom
Private Kitchen

Room Facilities

Double bed
Private kitchen
Premium Suite£180/week


44 week£180/week
51 week£180/week
Bathrooms1 Bath
Private Room
Private Bathroom
Private Kitchen

Room Facilities

double bed
Private kitchen
Accessible Rooms£200/week


44 week£200/week
51 week£200/week
Bathrooms1 Bath
Private Room
Private Bathroom
Private Kitchen

Room Facilities

double bed
Private kitchen

Booking Details

How much is the rent and what bills are included?

You rent will depend on the type of room you decide to stay in. All bills are included however if you decide to bring your own television, you are liable to pay for your own TV Licence.

Do I have to pay Council Tax?

No. Students in full-time education are not required to pay Council Tax providing they produce a Council Tax exemption form certificate.

What is a reservation fee?

The reservation fee of 250 is required to secure your room. 50 of this fee is non-refundable, while the remaining 200 will be taken off the last instalment of the tenants rent.

Will I have to sign a contract?

Yes, after you have paid your reservation fee and first rent instalment you will be then be required to sign a contract. Upon this you will then be able to move in.

I need to leave the accommodation before the contract ends

Youll need to find an appropriate tenant to move into your room. You both will need to go to the Park House accommodation office to sign the paperwork. The replacement tenant will need to pay a booking fee and sign a tenancy contract. Youll need to pay a 50 admin fee. Alternatively, if you cant find a suitable placement you will need to pay the remainder of your rent.

What happens if I cant pay my rent?

You will need to notify the Accommodation Manager as soon as possible.

Can I pay monthly rather than termly?

They have two types of contracts, one lasting 42 weeks and the other lasting 51 weeks. Both contracts require termly payments rather than monthly, however, they do offer a summer extension. For more information speak with a member of staff.

What documents will I need for the move in process?

Guarantor form, payslips, student finance and possibly others depending on the situation at hand. 

When can I move in?

Once you have booked your room, provided us with the requested documents and paid your reservation fee with the rent instalment you will be able to move in.

Payment Details

Booking Fees

In order to secure your accommodation, you are required to pay a Booking Fee of GBP 250. 

Online payments are acceptable.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does my room come with a TV?

All communal kitchens within-cluster rooms are supplied with televisions. Otherwise, televisions will have to be provided by tenants.

Will I need to purchase a TV Licence?

If tenants are solely using televisions in communal areas, TV Licence will not need to be purchased. In the case of those supplying their televisions, such tenants will be required to pay-TV Licence.

How do I get access to the hoover/iron?

Before accessing the hoover/iron, the tenant will have to sign for the items at the reception. The members of staff will then proceed to hand over the items to the tenant. After the tenant is finished with the things, it is required to hand the items back over to the reception staff.

How do I connect to the Wi-Fi?

Tenants will need to create a Keysurf account and sign in (please note that Keysurf will soon be changing its name to Optify). Once this is done, it will generate a username and password that the tenants will use when logging into the Wi-Fi.

How does the referral scheme work?

For any student that a tenant introduces to Opto Living that goes on successfully books to stay at one of their accommodations, he/she will receive a referral fee of 50.  

Can I get a fan in my room?

Unfortunately, Opto Living does not provide fans in rooms; however, the gym and the conference room have air-condition fitted into them. Any student that is seeking a fan will have to purchase ones for themselves.

Where can I park my bike?

There is a bicycle stand in the courtyard of all three buildings that are available for all tenants. Those making use of this equipment are advised to use a chain when locking bikes.

How do I wash my clothes?

To access the washing machines, you will need to create a Circuit account. Here you can top-up your account with money to pay. You can download the Circuit app on your phone or access it online, depending on your preference.

How do I access to use the communal areas?

To use the other facilities (i.e., indoor/outdoor cinema room, study rooms, conference rooms, and games area), you will need to come to the reception book when you would like to use them. Please be aware that depending on the type of facility you would like to access; you will be required to leave us with a form of ID.

Is it possible to share it with friends?

Yes, it is possible. Upon application, please contact us with the details of the friends you would like to live with. They will do everything in their power to accommodate your requests; however, due to the volume of applications, they cannot make any guarantees. The earlier you apply, the better!

If I want to bring a car, is it possible to park at the accommodation?

Parking spaces are provided at Opto Village for 120 per month (speak to reception for more information). Street parking is available from 6 pm to 8 am at all buildings.

Where is the nearest mall?

The Luton Arndale Mall is just a 5-minute walk away from Opto Village and Park House, and a 3-minute walk away from Chapel House. Here tenants can access shops such as Boots, Tesco, JD Sports, and many more.

How far away is the train station?

Luton Train Station is a 10-minute walk from their Opto Village and Chapel House accommodations, while Park House is approximately 15 minutes away.

How far away is Luton Airport?

Luton Airport is only a 3-minute drive away from Opto Village. Busses from Luton Town Centre can also be used to access the airport.

What taxi service do they use?

The contact number of their taxi service can be found on the front desk of the reception at each accommodation.

How do I get this card?

All student residents of Opto Living are entitled to this card, picked up at the Opto Village or Park House reception.

Is Opto Living a safe environment for my child?

At Opto Living, they understand that it can be daunting for parents when their child moves away from home for the first time. The security and safety of their residents are paramount, and they have many steps in place to put your mind at ease. All of their buildings feature 24/7 CCTV, and there is a secure fob lock system in place throughout the building. This means that only people who have rented a room with Opto Living will have access to the building. Any visitors must be signed in and out at reception. Each building has its reception where a member of the Opto Living management team is based. The reception is open to the public 24-hours a day and is manned by either a member of the management or security team. All of their buildings have passed strict safety tests. The fire alarm is tested every week, and fire escapes are located throughout the building.

What happens if my child has an issue with their room?

If there is an issue with the room, they have a fast and effective maintenance procedure. Tenants are required to fill out a simple form which can be collected from reception. They aim to fix all raised issues within 24-hours.

Do you have disabled access rooms?

Yes. All of their buildings have disabled access studio rooms with large, fully equipped bathrooms. Each building has lift access to all floors and automatic doors and ramps to improve livability.

How can I reserve a room for my child?

If you would like to reserve a room for your child, click here. You are required to pay a reservation fee of 250 (non-refundable admin fee of 50 and 200, which is an advance final rent payment and will show on the last statement).  

What documents are required to book a room?

Student ID
Confirmation Letter (to confirm you are a student and your term of study)
Council Tax Exemption Certificate (accessible through your e-vision account) from the University