Even though technology has been a major part of our lives, we take it for granted! We have a list of useful apps for students that are not social media channels and definitely not Tinder that will help students organize and maintain their hectic lives! Whether you need help with note-taking, managing tasks, learning new languages, or preparing for exams, here are some must have apps for students that simplify student life. Having the right resources to reach your full potential and succeed academically is important. Read further to learn more!!
1. Fluent U
There are many language learning apps for students. But, FluentU offers different methods, drawing from real-life situations & examples, that allow students to have a conversation-focused and more effective learning experience. FluentU offers videos & audio recordings with transcriptions and translations, vocabulary flashcards, & other resources ranging from beginner to advanced levels. You can also search for subject-specific content and definitions of words & expressions. These reasons make Fluent U an excellent apps for international students.
- Real-world videos for immersive language learning
- Interactive exercises and building vocabulary
- Experience with customised teaching
2. Microsoft Lens
Depending on your university studies, you can come across a true humdinger of a diagram now and then. What is the best course of action to take? Should you frantically scribble it down or let the speaker explain it? You no longer have to pick, thanks to Microsoft Lens. It is one of the useful apps for students that lets you hold your camera to the board and take a photo; the programme will crop off anything around it. This makes Microsoft Lens an excellent app for students.
- Document digitisation and scanning
- Text extraction using OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
- Simple compatibility with Microsoft Office and other Microsoft software
One note-taking app stands out from the rest: Notion. The app's most appealing feature is its adaptability. Aside from taking notes, you can also manage tasks, build a calendar, keep a daily journal, plan trip itineraries, and do much more. It can help you organise your university work and everything else. Your notes can also be synced across all devices. This means you may type on your tablet and then access your class notes on your laptop to compose your essay, making it a must-have app for students.
- Just one space for managing tasks, notes, and documentation
- Tools for collaboration for teams working on projects
- Templates that can be customised and organisational tools
4. Sleep Cycle
Every student prefers to sleep whenever the opportunity arises, whether right before, after class, or after lunch. Setting aside the jokes, waking up on the seventh will be difficult if you can sleep in six out of seven days. Fortunately, Sleep Cycle is Mother Nature 2.0 and may wake you up even when sleeping lightly. The app can decide when to wake you up from your slumber by detecting your movement, leaving you feeling refreshed. This simple reason makes it one of the most useful apps for students with sleep issues.
- Tracking and evaluation of sleep
- Smart alarm clock that wakes you when you're in the early stages of sleep
- Trends and insights on sleep
- Compatibility with fitness and health apps
Cost: Free version plus premium version $10 a month or $60 for a year.
Platform: Play Store
Category: Study and Learning
With over 400 million flashcards, notes, and study guides created by students like you, StudyBlue is the most extensive crowdsourced study library and one of the must have apps for students. Students can study using virtual flashcards on their phones or tablet using StudyBlue. Using StudyBlue for their studying and memory needs, students can have constant access to their study tools. Students can create and share study materials, search for peers' recommended study content, measure progress, set reminders, and create personalised quizzes making this a fantastic app for students to help them study.
- Digital flashcards for learning
- Taking notes and organising your study materials
- Exam practice and quizzes
- Working together and sharing with other students
Coggle is a mind-mapping and brainstorming software that is worth looking into. Its sleek and straightforward interface demonstrates the intelligent design philosophy. This programme will allow you to collaborate with your groupmates in real time, making it great for group tasks and projects, especially if you are learning online. You may also use this software to save modifications to your work automatically! With Coggle's drag-and-drop capability, you can store as many images as you want; there's no need to worry about memory limits or flowing text, making this one of the best apps for students.
- Tool for mind mapping and brainstorming
- Visualisation of concepts and ideas
- Real-time collaboration and editing
- Options for exporting for sharing and presenting
If you have trouble getting up when the alarm goes off in the morning or are jet lagged, this app for students is your saviour. Alarmy allows you to set tasks that must be completed before the alarm can stop. You can set the alarm to block once you take a picture in a specific room in your house, scan a barcode, or even solve a math problem. Indeed, by completing your task, you will be out of bed and awake enough to start your day, making this one of the best apps for international students.
- Unusual alarm clock software that needs users to complete activities in order to turn it off
- Many alarm options to meet various needs
- Wake-up challenges for heavy sleepers
If you're dealing with numbers at any time during your degree, consider downloading Mathway. It's one of the best apps students must have for math. Mathway can handle everything from the simplest calculations to the most terrifying formulas. You enter your problem, and Mathway will solve it for you. If you want to know how to achieve the answer rather than just what it is, Mathway may provide complete step-by-step instructions making it a fantastic app for students.
- Solver for math problems with detailed instructions
- Many mathematical subjects are covered.
- Quick fixes and responses
- Feature of a graphing calculator
Cost: Free version plus plans from $31/year
Platform: Play Store
Category: Productivity and Organization
No academic student can escape the tiresome task that is bibliographic referencing. Sorting out your sources is a long and tedious process, but with a tool like RefMe, you'll be able to finish your paper much more quickly, making this one of the most useful apps for students. RefMe gives you citations of books, journals, websites, and more, according to your style of preference (MLA, APA, Harvard, Chicago, etc.). You can also use the browser add-on on your computer to help speed things along, and when you're done, you have to copy the list and paste it into your paper.
- Generator of citations and bibliographies
- Scan barcodes on books or articles for quick reference
- Support for many citation formats
- For use in research projects, export and store references.
10. Cold Turkey
This app is the one is for you if you are easily sidetracked by things. Cold Turkey is one of the must have apps for students that lets you set a timer during which distracting websites are not permitted. There is no way to unlock the sites until the countdown runs out, and there is no way to go back in time. You can even disable the entire Internet if required. Other apps for students can get through website blocks, but this one does not.
- Blocking distracting apps and websites with a focus and productivity app
- Customizable scheduling and blocking choices
- Tracking and analysing time
- Helps keep focus and overcome procrastination
Learning the native language of your country is perhaps the most critical survival skill. Understanding and communicating with the locals will make your experience abroad immensely easier. Duolingo is one of the most popular language-learning apps for students, and with good reason. With Duolingo, you can learn over 30 languages for free through a quick and fun method making it an excellent app for international students.
- Gamified language learning experience
- Interactive tasks and lessons
- Language skills and vocabulary development
- Monitoring progress and achievements
- Multiple languages are available.
Cost: Free version plus plans from $0.99
Platform: App Store.
Category: Note-Taking and Recording
If you have an iPad you can take to class, SoundNote will be your best helper. SoundNote is one of the most useful apps for students that can record lectures in audio and written format, so you don't have to worry about writing down everything the professor says. The app has excellent voice recognition and perfectly transcribes the professor's lecture into written text. Sadly, the app is not available for Android devices or computers, but it makes a great app for students.
- An app for taking notes with built-in audio recording
- Sync audio recordings with written notes.
- Convenient search and navigation tools suitable for meetings, presentations, and interviews
When you’re living in a foreign country, far away from your family and the city you know, staying safe is the primary concern. Circulo is one of the apps for students that lets you connect to five of your closest friends and keep track of each other. The app for students uses location services to tell you where each group member is. You can also send emergency alerts to your friends through quick actions and access national safety hotlines when needed. The app is available on the Play Store as Círculo 2.0 and the App Store as Circulo. The app's safety makes it an excellent app for international students.
- Using a habit monitoring tool, you can create and keep good behaviours.
- Habit targets and reminders that are customizable
- Tracking progress and streaks
- Analytics for habits and motivation
Staying on top of coursework, assignments, and deadlines can be a significant source of stress for any academic student. With organisation, everything becomes more manageable. Trello is one of the best apps for students that helps you organise and plan your responsibilities, set up to-do lists, deadlines, and goals and detail your tasks, so you don't forget any detail. You can also share lessons with your classmates, making group work much easier and more organised, making it an excellent app for students.
- Project and task management software
- Kanban boards are used to organise tasks.
- Teamwork and collaboration capabilities
- Checklists, deadlines, and attachments
- Visualisation of the work flow and productivity monitoring
We're living in the age of technology, and learning how to use it to your best advantage will remove most hurdles on your path to success as an international student. Studying abroad is a long and complex process but by getting help of the best student services and availing discounts will be a cherry on top! Combining these apps for international students will help you find the perfect university, manage your student responsibilities, navigate a new home city, and engage with the local culture.