550 Lygon is situated in Carlton, a vibrant inner suburb with excellent amenities such as shopping, restaurants, parkland and recreational facilities. The city centre is less than 2km from Carlton and can be accessed easily by public transport.

There are many different apartment styles available including one bedroom, one bedroom twin share, two bedrooms for two people, and two bedrooms for three people to share. Whilst there are varying layouts, each self-contained apartment is light-filled and spacious.  Each apartment has its own separate sleeping area, study area, kitchen and bathroom.

There is a tram line in front of the property as well as easy access via car to the major freeways and City Link the most direct route to the Melbourne Airport. 550 Lygon is about a 10 minute walk to the University of Melbourne and a short tram ride to RMIT and other educational institutes in Melbourne city.

We understand that as a university student your number one priority are your academic achievements, however we also believe that being a university student provides you with the opportunity to engage in a range of activities including sports, art, charity work, social events etc. Our Community Spirit Program (CSP) offers a range of events and activities for all of our residents ranging from day trips, movie nights, karaoke nights, sporting events, charity work etc. The regular events provide you with the opportunity to make some new friends, interact with other students in the building, explore what Melbourne has on offer and most importantly enjoy the university life experience.

Apartment Facilities

Cleaning Apartments
Crockery Packs
Dining Table & Chairs
Linen Packs
Study Desk, Pedestal Chair, & Pin Board for each person

Community Facilities

Broadband – Wi-Fi Broadband Connection
Building Security
Car Park
Cleaning Common Areas (not inside apartments)
Community Programs
Laundry Room
Mail Boxes
Public Transport


1 BedroomA$356 - A$367/week
Min. Lease Duration52 week
Bathrooms1 Bath
Private Room
Shared Bathroom
Shared Kitchen


Conveniently located on the famous Lygon Street known for its great restaurants and shopping, the 1 bedroom apartment offers a fantastic student living environment for those who are looking for a more independent style accommodation. The apartment is fully furnished with private ensuite bathroom, ceiling fan and a wall mounted electric heater to keep warm in the chilly winter Melbourne evening. The apartment also features a large sized study desk, generous wall mounted book shelf, ergonomically designed study chair, fully equipped kitchen with 128L bar fridge, modern appliances and 4-burner gas stove, dining table with two chairs, a 32 flat screen TV, 3-seater sofa and 1-seater sofa chair.

Bed Size: Single

1 Bedroom – Twin ShareA$425 - A$435/week
Min. Lease Duration52 week
Private Room
Shared Bathroom
Shared Kitchen

The 1 bedroom twin share is perfect for students to share with their best mates or to make a new best mate. Positioned in a large room separate from the living and kitchen area, this 1 bedroom twin share is perfect to get away for an afternoon siesta while your roommate is out in the living space watching TV or cooking up a storm in the fully equipped kitchen which features a 4-burner gas stove, 128L bar fridge, modern appliances and plenty of storage to stock away your favourite condiments. The apartment is fitted with a wall mounted electric heater to keep you warm during the chilly Melbourne evenings and also features a ceiling fan to cool you down in summer.

Bed Size: Single

2 BedroomA$540 - A$590/week
Min. Lease Duration52 week
Private Room
Shared Bathroom
Shared Kitchen

The 2 bedroom apartments are perfect for students who prefer to share the apartment with friends and are looking for their own private space. Two large sized rooms feature a built-in wardrobe, wall mounted heater, study desk which runs the length of the room and an ergonomically designed study chair. The kitchen features a two door fridge/freezer, 4-burner gas stove, microwave and plenty of storage spaces. The living area perfect to for you and your roommate to enjoy a big night in with good home cooked food and watch your favourite TV on 32 flat screen TV.

Bed Size: Single

2 Bedroom – 3 to 4 occupantsSold OutA$590/week
Min. Lease Duration52 week
Private Room
Shared Bathroom
Shared Kitchen

Our 2 bedroom multi-share apartments are perfect for a small group of friends to live an independent lifestyle. The rooms are separate from the living and kitchen area giving you the choice of quiet time studying in your own room or sharing the living room with your roommates in your big night in. Why not take advantage of the fully equipped kitchen with 4-burner gas stove, modern appliance and the 32 flat screen TV that is perfect for watching your favourite TV show/movies.

Bed Size: Single

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I connect the internet/phone?

Upon arrival you will be provided with internet information. If you choose to use Spirit Telecom, you can plug your computer into the data port located in your room and connect to their website instantly. Select your package and payment option. Now you should be able to browse and use the internet as you would normally. You are able to connect the phone at the same time.

Is wireless internet available?

You can order a wireless router from Spirit Telecom to access wireless internet.

How do I disconnect the internet/phone?

Please contact Spirit Telecom before your move out and inform them that you wish to terminate their services.

What is a Bond?

A bond (also known as a security deposit) is an amount of money that you need to pay that can be used by the apartment owner if you do not meet the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement. Examples of this include: If you fail to keep the property clean, cause damage or are in rent arrears, the owner of the property may claim some or all of the bond only when the tenancy ends.

How much is the Bond?

A Bond is payable, equivalent to 4 weeks rent, except where rent is $350 per week or more, the bond will be equivalent to 6 weeks rent, and is payable to the State Government Authority. In Melbourne the authority is the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority.

Paying the Bond?

All rental bonds for properties in Victoria are lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) a state government body. Payment must be made payable to the RTBA (not UniLodge).  We ask that you provide us with a bank cheque (a bank cheque is a cheque issued by the bank under their name, you can purchase one of these from any Australian Bank).  Alternatively, a money order (Available from Australia post) is acceptable.  Remember the cheque/Money Order must be made payable to the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority. Bring the bond cheque/money order with you when you are collecting your keys, At this meeting, you will complete and sign the official Bond Lodgement Form.  We will forward this to the RTBA and then the RTBA will send a receipt to you direct. Contact the RTBA on 1300 137 164 if you have not received a receipt 15 business days after paying your bond. The ANZ Bank at Melbourne Airport is open from 4:30 am until 11:45pm 7 days a week making it easy for you to obtain a bond cheque.  You do not need to open a bank account with them you just need to have the amount of the bond and the Banks fee which will be between $10-$15.

What is a Condition Report?

When you pay a bond, we must prepare a Condition Report, which records the propertys general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and present you with 2 paper copies of this Report when you come to collect your keys.

Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the Condition Report. You must return the report to UniLodge within three business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the Condition Report until the end of the tenancy.

The Condition Report is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy.

You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition.

The owner may claim some or all of the bond for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy. If the Condition Report stated that the work was required at the start of the tenancy, or the items were not listed, it can help you prove the bond should be returned to you.

Q21: I am vacating, can I use the Bond for my last months rent?

A21: No, your bond and rent are separate payments.

Q22: What happens when I vacate?

A22: You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy, and ensure all personal items have been removed, report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy bond resolution.

Q23: How do I receive my Bond back?

A23: At the end of the tenancy we will provide you a Bond Claim form for completion (or you can download your own copy from ), Please ensure you sign the form with the same signature as you used on the Bond Lodgement form at the start of your tenancy. The RTBA will match signatures and will only process your claim if they match. We will lodge the bond claim form once we have the owner and your signed agreement, it then takes another 2-3 business days for the RTBA to process, it repays the bond directly into the nominated bank account on the form, If you have not provided valid bank account details, but have provided a forwarding address, the RTBA will send a cheque. If the RTBA is unable to do either of the above they will retain your money, you will need to contact them via phone on 1300 137 164 to organize for your refund to be released to you.

Is there extra storage outside my apartment?

There are no extra storage facilities at the property.

Can I move out at any time?

When you move into your apartment, you sign a lease. This is a legally binding document that means you have committed to paying rent from the start date on your contract until the end date of your contract. If you move out, you still have to pay rent until your contract expires. However, if you have no choice but to move out, you can break your lease. This means that you need to pay a lease break fee and the rent until someone else takes over your contract. The lease break fee is outlined in the Residential Tenancy Agreement.

What kind of contracts does UniLodge @ 550 Lygon offer?

The property offers 12 months lease. Short term leases may also be available.

What does my rent include?

Rental in a self-contained apartment at UniLodge @ 550 Lygon includes gas this means all gas for your cooktop in your apartment is free! Your water and electricity usage and connection is an additional charge to your rent.

Why is the rent not 4 times the weekly rental amount?

Rental is per calendar month. The weekly rate is multiplied by 52 weeks as there are 52 weeks in a year, and it is then divided by 12 months to get the monthly rate.

When do I pay my rent?

Your rent is due on the 1st day every month.

Do you have car parking facilities?

Yes, car parking is available at the property for an additional fee $130 a month.

How does my mail get to me?

You will need to direct your mail to:

Your Name

Room # / 550 Lygon Street

Carlton, VIC, Australia, 3053

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

Your apartment is furnished with a bed, desk, cupboard, study chair, TV, fridge, and microwave oven. You will need to supply all of your own linen & kitchen equipment.

How close is the nearest supermarket?

The nearest supermarket is called Foodworks and it is located around the corner, a minutes walk away.

What do I do if I have a visitor?

As this is a secure building, all residents are required to meet their guests at the entrance door as this door is only accessible by a resident swipe card.

If I really want to move rooms after I move in is that possible?

Once you have signed a lease for your room, you cannot change rooms until your lease expires or you break your lease.

Why are you claiming my Bond?

The Owner is entitled to compensation if you have failed any terms or conditions in your tenancy agreement or breached the Residential Tenancies Act (Victorian State Government Law covering rental issues).  Please note that the owner cannot claim for wear and tear of items or fittings in the apartment. At UniLodge the vast majority of these sorts of issues are resolved by agreement between the owner and the tenant. If there is no agreement then the Owner may decide to ask the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) to hold a hearing to finally decide on the issue. Please note if the matter goes to VCAT than the resolution of the bond will exceed the time frame mentioned above as we must wait for a hearing date from VCAT.


  • Store
  • Restaurant
  • Airport
  • Commute
  • Reset