Cobden in North Melbourne is a fantastic student living environment for students looking for convenient and safe accommodation. North Melbourne is a suburb best known for its rich history, popular cafes and boutiques, as well as the famous Queen Victoria Market  Melbournes longest running cultural icon with its variety of fresh produce.

The property is just a short walk or tram ride to the University of Melbourne, RMIT and many other educational institutes, and only a couple of minutes walk away from a tram stops to take you into Melbourne CBD or a 12 minute walk to either Melbourne Central or Flagstaff train stations.

Accommodation Options

On Cobden offers self-contained, light-filled and spacious studio apartments perfect for those students who prefer their own living space and perfect for uni life!

The apartments are fully furnished featuring a double size bed, living area with couch and TV, private ensuited bathroom, wardrobe, study desk and chair, electric heating and cooling. The kitchenettes allow for small cooking adventures, which include cook tops and a microwave oven. Some apartments also include a balcony and the property offers wheelchair accessible apartments.

Facilities & Common Areas

The property has a great resident lounge with large TV featuring Foxtel. Watch a movie or your favourite TV show, or simply enjoy relaxing whilst socialising with friends or fellow residents. Bike racks at the front of the property and in the undercover bike shed are available to all residents. The laundry room is open 24/7 and includes both washing machines and dryers.

With the safety and security of our residents in mind, the property offers a safe and secure environment with CCTV and the use of electronic swipe cards for the building, common areas and lifts, and access to each apartment is via a personalised key.

Apartment Facilities

Bedrooms Secure
Dining Table & Chair
Study Desk, Chair, & Pin Board
Double or king single beds, built-in wardrobe & blinds to every apartment window.

Community Facilities

Broadband – Wi-Fi Broadband Connection
Bike Space
Building Security
Cleaning Common Areas (not inside apartments)
Common Areas
Community Programs
Laundry Room
Mail Boxes


Studio Single/Double - StandardAU$322/week
Available from03-02-2020
Bathrooms1 Bath
Private Bathroom
Entire Place
Private Kitchen

Our studio apartments are perfect for students who prefer living in their own space. The apartment comprises of a living area, fully equipped kitchen with modern appliances and plenty of storage spaces, en-suite bathroom, wardrobe, large study desk and chair, air conditioner and electric heating to keep warm during the cold Melbourne winter.

Bed Size: Double/King Single

Studio Double Bed - DeluxeAU$347/week
Min. Lease Duration52 week
Available from03-02-2020
Bathrooms1 Bath
Private Bathroom
Entire Place
Private Kitchen

The studio apartments with view offers natural light and modern en-suite bathroom with plenty of storage space to organise your everyday essentials. The fully equipped kitchen enables you to practice your MasterChef skills and located just across the road is the Queen Victoria Market where you will be able to purchase the freshest produce every day.

Bed Size: Double

Studio Double Bed - BalconyAU$362/week
Min. Lease Duration52 week
Available from03-02-2020
Bathrooms1 Bath
Private Bathroom
Entire Place
Private Kitchen

With our studio balcony apartments, located in a modern boutique building, you can enjoy fresh air and natural light. The studio features a wall mounted digital TV perfect for you to enjoy your favourite TV shows. The large common area within the building also allows you to gather with your friends and enjoy your perfect movie night.

Bed Size: Double

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I connect the internet/phone?

Upon arrival you will be provided with internet information. If you choose to use Spirit Telecom, you can plug your computer into the data port located in your room and connect to their website instantly. Select your package and payment option. Now you should be able to browse and use the internet as you would normally. You are able to connect the phone at the same time.

Is wireless internet available?

You can order a wireless router from Spirit Telecom to access wireless internet.

How do I disconnect the internet/phone?

Please contact Spirit Telecom before your move out and inform them that you wish to terminate their services.

What is a Bond?

A Bond is an amount of money that you need to pay that can be used by the apartment owner if you do not meet the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement. Examples of this include: If you fail to keep the property clean, cause damage or are in rent arrears, the owner of the property may claim some or the entire Bond only when the tenancy ends.  .

How much is the Bond?

Bond is payable, equivalent to 4 weeks rent, except where rent is $350 per week or more, the bond will be equivalent to 6 weeks rent, and is payable to the State Government Authority. In Melbourne the authority is the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority.

Paying the Bond?

You have to pay the bond along with your first months rent before your move into the apartment.

What is a Condition Report?

When you pay a Bond, we must prepare a Condition Report, which records the propertys general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and present you with 2 paper copies of this Report when you come to collect your keys.

Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the Condition Report. You must return the report to UniLodge within three business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the Condition Report until the end of the tenancy.

The Condition Report is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy.

You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition.

The owner may claim some or all of the Bond for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy. If the Condition Report stated that the work was required at the start of the tenancy, or the items were not listed, it can help you prove the bond should be returned to you.

Q21: I am vacating, can I use the Bond for my last months rent?

A21: No, your Bond and rent are separate payments.

Q22: What happens when I vacate?

A22: You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy, and ensure all personal items have been removed, report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy Bond resolution.

Q23: How do I receive my Bond back?

A23: At the end of the tenancy we will provide you a Bond Claim Form for completion. Please ensure you sign the form with the same signature as you used on the Bond Lodgement form at the start of your tenancy. The RTBA will match signatures and will only process your claim if they match. We will lodge the bond claim form once we have the owner and your signed agreement, it then takes another 2-3 business days for the RTBA to process, it repays the bond directly into the nominated bank account on the form, If you have not provided valid bank account details, but have provided a forwarding address, the RTBA will send a cheque. If the RTBA is unable to do either of the above they will retain your money, you will need to contact them via phone on 1300 137 164 to organize for your refund to be released to you.

Is there extra storage outside my apartment?

There are no extra storage facilities at the property.

Can I move out at any time?

When you move into your apartment, you sign a lease. This is a legally binding document that means you have committed to paying rent from the start date on your contract until the end date of your contract. If you move out, you still have to pay rent until your contract expires. However, if you have no choice but to move out, you can break your lease. This means that you need to pay a lease break fee and the rent until someone else takes over your contract. The lease break fee is outlined in the Residential Tenancy Agreement.

What kind of contracts does on Cobden offer?

12 months lease. Short term leases may also be available.

What does my rent include?

Water and electricity usage and connection is an additional charge to your rent.

Why is the rent not 4 times the weekly rental amount?

Rental is per calendar month. The weekly rate is multiplied by 52 weeks as there are 52 weeks in a year, and it is then divided by 12 months to get the monthly rate.

When do I pay my rent?

Your rent is due on the 1st day every month.

Do you have car parking facilities?

Unfortunately, there is no car park available at the property.

How does my mail get to me?

You will need to direct your mail to:

Your Name

Room # / 2 Cobden Street

North Melbourne VIC 3051 Australia

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

Your apartment is furnished with a bed, desk, cupboard, study chair, TV, fridge, and convection microwave oven. You will need to supply all of your own linen & kitchen equipment available online via our convenient shop, Your Shop.

How close is the nearest supermarket?

The nearest major supermarket is Coles and it is located 1km away at Melbourne Central. Queen Victoria Market is located across the road and a wide array of fresh and cheap produce is available.

What do I do if I have a visitor?

 As this is a secure building, all residents are required to meet their guests at the entrance door as this door is only accessible by a resident swipe card.

If I really want to move rooms after I move in is that possible?

Once you have signed a lease for your room, you cannot change rooms until your lease expires or you break your lease.

Why are you claiming my Bond?

The Owner is entitled to compensation if you have failed any terms or conditions in your tenancy agreement or breached the Residential Tenancies Act (Victorian State Government Law covering rental issues).  Please note that the owner cannot claim for wear and tear of items or fittings in the apartment. At UniLodge the vast majority of these sorts of issues are resolved by agreement between the owner and the tenant. If there is no agreement then the Owner may decide to ask the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) to hold a hearing to finally decide on the issue. Please note if the matter goes to VCAT than the resolution of the bond will exceed the time frame mentioned above as we must wait for a hearing date from VCAT.


  • Store
  • Restaurant
  • Airport
  • Commute
  • Reset